Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2002, 10:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Rotel cd player

I have a Rotel RCD-971 cd player. What is your opinion of this player and are there any tweaks for it. Thanks
Old 2nd May 2002, 10:19 PM   #2
Banned

Default Opionion

No tell for Rotel. They smell.
Old 2nd May 2002, 10:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
It all depends how often you clean them.
Check LC Audio link:http://www.lcaudio.com/cdafs.htm There must be a reason for being the best European player. Although I never owned Rotel they have a reputation for producing good sounding gear at reasonable prices.
Old 14th May 2003, 12:13 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to b_online Send a message via MSN to b_online Send a message via Yahoo to b_online
Default Rotel mods

Hi,

The 971 cd is halfway good.
I would probably try to upgrade to a 2nd hand 991, also from Rotel.
Later on, reclock it, and modify op-amps, and everything you can on the output stage.
I have heard that the Trichord Research Clock 3 together with the "Never Connected" power supply feeding exclusively the clock is an amazing upgrade!

Best of luck!
Old 14th May 2003, 04:07 PM   #5
Banned

Unhappy Mmmmmm...

Well, first thing is Rotel cd-players, even the cheapest ones, normally have Burr Brown op-amps (OPA2134), and that's not bad at all.
But...
What doesn't make sense to me is having HDCD support (PMD100 digital filter) and an 18bit dac.
Curious.
Old 1st September 2003, 05:31 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Drew
Default Re: Rotel CD Player

hey there - in my opinion rotel makes a fantastic cd player for the money. the rcd971 was my fav cd player at a local hifi shop but i couldn't afford it. but it could sound sooo much better with a little help (hint). brown bread, brown bread - the case, the chasis, the transport, caps ( if you don't intend on changing them), add an emi filiter, upgrade the power cable. it will amaze you. i have a rcd930ax that i have completely done up. just compared it to a rcd1070. the mod 930 blew it away.
Old 1st September 2003, 10:33 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

The 971 is a very good player for the price. Drew advice is good.
The 971 uses the PCM63 dac, a very good sounding dac used by many top end player. The PMD100 is not that bad either, I believe Linn CD12 (1st version?) uses the PMD100.
I would definitely replace the opamp if it uses opa2134. I had very good result replacing the opa2134 with the LM6172 in my preamp. You might also try the LC Audio ad825 module. Can anybody tell me if the 971 originally uses Blackgate inside, my 971 came modded.
Old 1st September 2003, 02:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yes, ChuckT, RCD971 has BlackGates from the factory.

I have a sample of this player myself, and I have started to modify it.
I have changed the resistors in the analog output stage to Vishays, and the caps to Infinicaps from my parts bin. Will also install an LCAudio clock and change the opamps to AD825.

Some time ago I bought some Lundahl trannies that would make an excellent output stage for the PCM63 DAC. I have some extra PCM63-K DAC chips, so I intend to use them in a piggy-back config (on top of each other), with the transformers connected directly to the DAC chip (pin 5/6 + gnd) to see what I think.
Old 1st September 2003, 04:31 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi bequerel, I have exactly what you have, LC clock, AD825 , 2 PCM63-K on hand and LL1636. The LC clock and AD825 is already install when I got it. The output BG was also bypassed with a 0.1uf RTX cap, which made the sound almost bright and unbalance, replace it with some MCap and much better. I also pull out the feedback resistor and directly solder it on the opamp.
I haven't put in the PCM63-K yet, not sure if I should do the piggy back as they are 2 different grade. I'll have to finish my other stuff on the table before I put in the Lundahl .
Old 2nd September 2003, 06:19 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Very interesting, ChuckT! Let us report back here at the forum when we are finished.

Hide this!Advertise here!