Cambridge Audio CD2

If that's the "lower left" corner of the main PCB when looking facing the front, I think it is the "delay" circuit that controls the output-muting relay.

By memory I think this is a 100ohm resistor that controls the current charging one of those caps, that then through some transistor switches the relay. See post #12 above: it dissipates much more than the 1/4W it is apparently rated for.
_

I confirm!
The same thing happened to me!:(
I replaced with a 0.6W.
CD2-100-Ohm.jpg

Last edited:
Lately I have recovered an old CD2 from the attic; I wanted to remove the four TDA1541 but I didn't have the courage ...
All in all, it was quite clean inside and before identifying its problems I first thought about changing the old capacitors.
Indeed, after thirty years, several of them were at a loss.
Not having a service manual available, I thought of a simply conservative intervention.
The problem is that, in addition to the shabby one above, I found another burnt resistor (below are the related images): is the one in the middle of the three C546B. The tester tells me that it measures 12 Ohm but the external conditions do not allow to have certainties. And just in an attempt to better see the colors, unsoldering it I further wasted it!:(
Can someone with good memory and experience on CD2 help me find out (or confirm) the resistor value?
Thanks.:wave:
CD2b.jpg

I see that many are speaking here that they have it. So it seems that there is something?

I don't know what they have ... the CD player surely someone has it ...
Through the many photos that are on the net (and thanks to the examination of the circuit that saw the presence in the same sequence of a resistor of identical value) I managed to trace the correct value of the burnt resistor: 22 Ohm.
I have almost finished the extraordinary maintenance of the Cambridge CD2, only one LED is missing which I should soon recover from an old Philips CD player.
In the end, I also replaced 3/4 of the resistors with others of greater power: better be careful ...
When I finished and before closing ... I will make a summary!
:)

CD2 Notes and Schematics

Seems like every now and then someone is looking for the never seen CD2 Schematic. I got the notes and schematic a few years ago and forgot I had them on an old laptop.

If the files don't show as attachments, PM me and I can send them to you.

In the end, the Cambridge Audio CD2 has ... resurrected!:cheerful:
Thanks to Will and Bram for their help!
In the beginning, the CD player was practically a wreck ...
I replaced all the electrolytic capacitors, favoring conservative but intelligent maintenance.
Only for the lower values I preferred to replace them with plastic film capacitors.
Only in the laser control electronics did I put a modern organic polymer capacitor that I had.
I have recovered the led displays from old CD players.
The most boring job was to replace - by intuition - the resistors that could burn: the inadequacy of their value is known, given their aptitude to burn!
Lastly I replaced the old RCA connectors.
As soon as it was powered up, it turned on: after more than twenty years, it started working again!
And the listening is very good indeed!
p_202021.jpg
p_202020.jpg
p_202019.jpg p_202240.jpg p_202230.jpg p_202236.jpg p_202235.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Forza. As a CD2 owner myself it's great to see another going. Thanks for the replacement display info. If you ever care to take the lid off again you may wish to change the Op Amps, some caps around the DAC chips, the clock and PSU diodes. I also put heatsinks on the DAC chips (also put connector headers on the board for easier DAC board removal). As standard I cannot hear a difference between the CD2 and CD3, with the mods it's really noticeable. I did NOT convert mine to valve output. But you may find this interesting.
http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator...3/Cambridge Audio CD3 CD player TDA1541A.html

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi Forza.
This is from one player, the OP Amps are OPA134's they work fine, I also have used LME 49710 the latter are a bit more detailed. I'm using the players with VFet amps so they are quite smooth, the 134's may be best for class AB amps. This one does not have heatsinks yet, but this machine has original air slots in the top where some do not so it keeps a bit cooler.

Attachments

• cd2 dac board.jpg
    cd2 dac board.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 71