TDA 1543 DAC questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to build a TDA1543 portable DAC to include in my new PPA. Seriously thinking of purchasing the pcb and parts from Scott Nixon, since it's almost the same cost by ordering the chips and BG's from various sources, etc.

Initially planned to build TDA1541 chip, but it seems almost impossible to make a small battery operated setup, since the chip is much more sensitive to power and output requirements.

It's basically my 2nd day of familiarity with non-filtered, non-oversampled DACs, so, please forgive my ignorance.

A couple of questions:

How does Chibi inverting mod degrade the sound in the sonic sense, if any degradation?

Where to get the schematics for Chibi mod? I searched and couldn't find it anywhere.

Will the 8v DC supply to digital section be sufficient to output the signal from TDA1543to my PPA?

Does the CS8414 chip work similar to CS8412 which is no longer recommended by provider? I plan to use Toshiba optical receiver with it. I guess the DACKit accomodates for it?

The notorious low high-frequency 3db drop, how can it be improved?
One solution - using a passive resonance circiut by Thorsten Loesch
way Does anybody have a different solution or the high-frequency drop isn't that bad?

Thanks!

Hi
I have recently constructed my first 1543 based dac for portable
use.
Using passive IV conversion and 8v it happily drives my Pimeta
so will have no probs with a PPA.

As for the sound ,probably different from what you are used to,
due to the treble roll off you mention.
I have found that this roll off does make your choice of partnering
equipment somewhat critical.
It sounds rather nice with my Stax 4040 setup and also with the
Beyer DT931 Pimeta combo.

Check out this thread[amoung many others] for info on optimizing the dac:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31002

You can also see mine here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32159&pagenumber=1

As for knowledgeable technical input..don,t ask me, I am just muddling along here also;) :D

Setmenu

Oh and Try RS components for the 8412, they have them in the UK.

setmenu, thanks for your input. it's always not so easy building something from scratch, little help and experience from others can be very useful.

I already ordered most of my parts from 3 sources, excluding the BG and Oscon caps. The BG are one of the best in the sound path. I'll order them from partsconnexion. Still cannot find them.Anyone can suggest a good alternative to Oscons?

It's only my 4th day of getting familiar with this DAC project, though, i used to built other things in the past. i would like to create a simple prototype first on the breadboard and then try it with other caps, i/v converters, possibly adding gain stage(AD8620 is good here, very neutral).

About the treble roll-off. There's a possible solution using a little resonance circiut to add back the missing 3db in the 18-20kHz region. Here's the schematics Interesting if this would fix the problem. The PPA is very accurate and responsive to get the full range from the DAC. I use OPA637/627 combination and diamond buffer from Larocco is on its way. AD8610 are great too, they should cure the treble roll-off if it's too serious.

At first the the seemingly endless choice of approaches nearly stalled me with this project.
So I would definitely recommend you build your first as simple as possible, so you can assess the 'basic' sound and use it as a reference to compare it to further versions.

You mention 'breadboard' for prototyping the first dac.
By breadboard do you mean the plastic moulded plugboard
used for temporarily jigging a circuit together?
If so, I don't think many here would recommend it.

See this thread for some interesting debate on decoupling ,grounding, power supply noise etc:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29259

On the subject of Op amps, I have used Bur Brown 634 buffers
with my pimeta and found the sound a little dark,I changed them
for HA 5002 buffers for a more transparent sound.
I mention this because I understand Burr Browns have a 'house sound' that some consider 'dark'.
If this is the case ,you may indeed prefer the AD8620/8610 sound.

Cheers

Setmenu

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.