decent pc soundcard with multiple outputs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
with price not being an obstacle, what PC soundcard would you people recomend that has at least 4 stereo output channels (=8 analog?).

currently im thinking the delta 1010 (rackmount ver) looks like it'll do the job. most of the specs mean little to me tho.

what other options are there?

keeping in mind i know sfa about audio overall, TIA.

m-audio revolutions 7.1(it has 8 channels out, but I don't know if you can assign them individually)
any delta is good as well(better than revolutions).
depending on the price, you can't get many with that many outputs, but I for one I'll always stay away from creative.

you may also look at E-MU 1212M here:
http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?product=2209&category=754&maincategory=754&nav=spec
the price is really great and the specs are better than any delta but I have no idea how stable it is or about the drivers.
Altho it is owned by creative, I heard it is quite good, not the usually creative crap.

I have audiophile 2496 and I am very happy with it.

Bricolo said:
emu is more or less creative...

There's reason to be optimistic that EMU actually got this new generation of cards right, though. These really do seem to be pro-grade cards - no crappy resampling, user-performed (ie not marketing lit) RMAA tests showing ~117+dB of DR which puts it in LynxTwo territory, what appear to be honestly *good* mic pre's etc. These are definately NOT just re-badged Creative consumer cards.

I currently have a Delta 1010 and can say that it works well, but if I were buying today I'd seriously look at the EMU 1820M - at $499 with the features it offers it's a pretty attractive option. You can save $100 by going with the 1820 (no M designator) which has lower-grade converters - still about on par with the Delta 1010 from what I can tell though.

However, if only 'decent' sound quality is needed then I'd agree with the Revo suggestions, although I have no personal experience.

RE: soundcards

Here is some info, which may help to make a right choice:
http://members.cox.net/alexhardware/IC_database1.htm
Only Lynx Two is the best choice, and then with the compromise in op amps quality but for significantly less price E-mu 1212/1802, others with their average class DACs and ADCs are out of the competition, including Firewire 410 and M-Audio revolution 7.1 ...
The best choice in price/quality for $199 is 1212 ... IMO.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.