diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Digital Source (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/)
-   -   Styroflex caps for TDA1541A decoupling? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/33530-styroflex-caps-tda1541a-decoupling.html)

Andypairo 5th May 2004 11:23 AM

Styroflex caps for TDA1541A decoupling?

2 Attachment(s)
I've just purchased some 0,22uF polystyrene (styroflex) capacitors and I was wondering if they can be suitable for decoupling the TDA1541A.
I've already placed an order for Wima MKPs (0,1 uF).. are these better or should I stick with the Wimas?

Cheers

Andrea

Bernhard 5th May 2004 08:34 PM

This is the kind of caps where the wires are sticked into the foil, not very good imho.

Looks like DDR caps to me.

German democratic republic.

Peter Daniel 5th May 2004 08:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Those are the caps smilar to ones used in Grado phono stage for RIAA. I don't think they sourced them in DDR?:)

cocolino 5th May 2004 09:03 PM

Quote:

Those are the caps smilar to ones used in Grado phono stage for RIAA. I don't think they sourced them in DDR?
Peter,
those caps on your photo look like to be real Styroflex (KS) caps whereas those shown at Andrea`s pic though looking very similar indeed look like sourced from DDR. They`re probably not Styroflex but some kind of lower quality Polyester film caps.

BTW: sourced from DDR does not mean automatically low quality - they have had their good stuff also.:)

carawu 5th May 2004 09:24 PM

Moin,

just fyi: Styroflex is only Styrene made by BASF-AG
Styroflex Styrene/butadiene ... Foam from melamine resin = registered trademark of BASF Aktiengesellschaft

carawu

Pedja 5th May 2004 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cocolino

Peter,
those caps on your photo look like to be real Styroflex (KS) caps whereas those shown at Andrea`s pic though looking very similar indeed look like sourced from DDR. They`re probably not Styroflex but some kind of lower quality Polyester film caps.

BTW: sourced from DDR does not mean automatically low quality - they have had their good stuff also.:)

Polyester 220nF 2.5cm long? Hardly.

pmkap 5th May 2004 11:01 PM

Re: Styroflex caps for TDA1541A decoupling?

Quote:

Originally posted by Andypairo
I've just purchased some 0,22uF polystyrene (styroflex) capacitors and I was wondering if they can be suitable for decoupling the TDA1541A.
I've already placed an order for Wima MKPs (0,1 uF).. are these better or should I stick with the Wimas?

Aren't the typical styrene caps (not those MITs) wound with a geometry that gives a rather high inductance? If so, wouldn't those caps be far more useful as an audio coupling and/or filtering application rather than a digital/ps decoupling application where that inductance would be probemattic?

Bernhard 5th May 2004 11:32 PM

Styroflex has low dielectric constant which means they sound good but are big.

Some people especially those who sell stuff on ebay call everything styroflex that looks like the caps in your pictures.

Those with wires sticked into foil are inductive.

The type with wires bond to the end s of the roll are better.

Happy styroflexing ! :D

fmak 6th May 2004 07:24 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernhard
[B]Styroflex has low dielectric constant which means they sound good but are big.

Some people especially those who sell stuff on ebay call everything styroflex that looks like the caps in your pictures.

Those with wires sticked into foil are inductive.

The type with wires bond to the end s of the roll are better.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How does one tell whether the wires are stuck or welded, especially where they are encapsulated?

I thought polystyrene just melts if you try to weld.

Bernhard 6th May 2004 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by fmak

How does one tell whether the wires are stuck or welded, especially where they are encapsulated?

I thought polystyrene just melts if you try to weld.

Open them.

No idea how they do it but they do it.