Styroflex caps for TDA1541A decoupling?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought similar-looking "styroflex" caps from an authorized dealer of radio parts in Germany. Same construction as yours, with the red and black painted ends, but with different style printing on the drum. I cannot identify their origin.
These are fairly fragile mechanically, and can short out even after a careful installation. Although no nominal tolerance was indicated by the supplier, my guess is 20%: Out of batches of 50, I could only get two pairs matched >3%.
My impression was that, in the RIAA circuit I used them in, they did sound better than WIMA MKPs, with fairly good transient response and good transparency, and with smoother highs than some silver micas I also tested them against. They are a good budget capacitor for RIAA, but other capacitors (mainly TFTs) can easily outperform them there.

Best regards,
James
Frankfurt am Main

Here are mine, I just bought them
Are they genuine styroflex?

Attachments

• dscf0039.jpg
    dscf0039.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 287
Bricolo said:
Here are mine, I just bought them
Are they genuine styroflex?

I believe these are genuine polystyrene film and foil caps, as available in GB through RS and Maplin, or in the States under the brand name of Xicon at Mouser. But I don't think there're manufactered by the holder of the Styroflex(tm) copyright.... nor is the actual construction necessarily the same.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.