cdrom as audiocdplayer....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I do not understand why one needs that external controller? I just have one the desk: An old 150W ATX power supply 4€ , a CD ROM from electronics junk jard with play and eject buttons at front, connected to the experimental AD1865 i made via spdif. It works, but mechanics is a little louder than a real audio transport.

What bugs me is that CD-Roms these days (with crazy speeds) make a lot of noise, even when playing CD-DA.
Listening to my music with a Bzzzzzzzzzzz is not for me.:D
I have a CD-Rom on a box (taken from a tape backup system), with internal PSU, RCA analog and SPDIF outs and I don't use it.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
till said:
I do not understand why one needs that external controller? I just have one the desk: An old 150W ATX power supply 4€ , a CD ROM from electronics junk jard with play and eject buttons at front, connected to the experimental AD1865 i made via spdif. It works, but mechanics is a little louder than a real audio transport.

Most cdrom players have an eject and only sometimes a play button. No track buttons. Linear supplies are preferred over switchers.

A possibility to lower the spindle motor speed is a nice extra.

carlosfm said:
What bugs me is that CD-Roms these days (with crazy speeds) make a lot of noise, even when playing CD-DA.
Listening to my music with a Bzzzzzzzzzzz is not for me.:D
I have a CD-Rom on a box (taken from a tape backup system), with internal PSU, RCA analog and SPDIF outs and I don't use it.

I think the Bzzzzzzzzz sound from your old tape backup system box. Is it switching power supply? Try other power supply souce such as Liner Power Source.

till said:
. It works, but mechanics is a little louder than a real audio transport.

carlosfm said:

Thats why you need to dump the entire track into memory via the ATAPI bus. BTW noise is not the only problem. I have a Sanyo device with particularly vicious start up torque that gives a graphic demonstration of Newton's Third Law in action.

ray.

MCLL said:

I think the Bzzzzzzzzz sound from your old tape backup system box. Is it switching power supply? Try other power supply souce such as Liner Power Source.

I mean the motor noise.
Yes, it's a switching PSU, but I don't have noise on the line outs.
Anyway, I made this joke for my forth :clown: system, on the basement.
Now I have a normal CDP there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.