Philips CD650 or CD473?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I currently have a functional CD473 with a CDM2 tranport and tda1541 DAC. I also have a CD650 (same transport/DAC) which isnt working, probably the tranport is at fault. Since the parts inside both players are very similar, i will probably be able to salvage either player.

Now, my goal is tweak one player (non-oversampling, caps, clock, etc). Which is the better player to build from? Which one is the better model, which has the most potential?

650 has a good groundplane even under parts,nice small pcb.
The 473,for me, is a long time ago.I think it has one large pcb,that reaches under the cdm,but judging the time it was made,it probably has lots of holes in the groundplane.

given the fact the 473 still works,I would go ahead with that one.

again,I can hardly remember the473 I once had,so without a picture of the pcb I can't answer.

The weakness of the 650 is in the interaction with the cdmboard.
The weakness of the 473 is the probable inconsistent use of the groundplane.

The rest can be solved.

650 has an extra filterboard,practical with nonOS

my 650 already has a non oversampling mod done to it, as suggested by an italian site which seems to have disappeared...

so i should use the extra filtered outputs with my 650 since it is non oversampled?

What other mods should i do to it? It currently already boasts better opamps and some better electrolytes.

I was thinking about taping the i2s output from the CDM-2 instead of spidf. Is that a good idea, and how do i do it?

what other mods is this player dying for?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.