brown/yellow stuff on the caps of my Philips CDP ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I removed the PSU board from my old CD104. This is the L shaped board attached to the heat sink. My intention was to replace the small caps after the regs with Elnas.

I noticed that one of the large (1500uf 25v ) caps has some yellow gloop on the side. This runs from *nearly* the top of the cap down to the base and forms a small puddle on the board. I also notice that the 4 other large caps have traced of goop at their base.

I had not intended replacing these caps though I guess the player is 20+ years old.

Q: Is this the caps leaking or is it some form of adhesive used to stick the down. The first cap appears to have the stuff going up the side (defying gravity) which makes me think this is some form of varnish or something.

Any advice ?

Thanks,

My plan was an upgrade using only parts from my scrap bin. The player is a 14 bit model and while built like a tank I don't want to get sucked into paying much out on it. I have another player acting as a transport to a Cambridge ISOmagic DAC and this is fine. I just wanted to see if I could work any magic on the CD104, while retaining it's character, hence not chaning the opamps.

I have removed the DC blocking caps and replaced the opamp decoupling caps with some Cerafines I had lying around.

woooooh. no it's not like that. This stuff is much thinner and semi clear. I think it is a varnish or maybe flux ?

Looking closer I noticed a thread of the stuff from one cap to another. Either a micro spiderman is swinging from cap to cap or this is clear evidence of this being adhesive (and the application being a bit hit or miss)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.