brown/yellow stuff on the caps of my Philips CDP ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2004, 05:54 PM   #1
jives11 is offline jives11  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default brown/yellow stuff on the caps of my Philips CDP ?

Hi,

I removed the PSU board from my old CD104. This is the L shaped board attached to the heat sink. My intention was to replace the small caps after the regs with Elnas.

I noticed that one of the large (1500uf 25v ) caps has some yellow gloop on the side. This runs from *nearly* the top of the cap down to the base and forms a small puddle on the board. I also notice that the 4 other large caps have traced of goop at their base.

I had not intended replacing these caps though I guess the player is 20+ years old.

Q: Is this the caps leaking or is it some form of adhesive used to stick the down. The first cap appears to have the stuff going up the side (defying gravity) which makes me think this is some form of varnish or something.

Any advice ?
Old 1st May 2004, 05:57 PM   #2
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Hi,

I'm not sure, but as noone else has replied yet, I'll say that I think it is most likely just glue.

Why not replace all the caps? Is this meant as an upgrade?
Old 1st May 2004, 06:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks,

My plan was an upgrade using only parts from my scrap bin. The player is a 14 bit model and while built like a tank I don't want to get sucked into paying much out on it. I have another player acting as a transport to a Cambridge ISOmagic DAC and this is fine. I just wanted to see if I could work any magic on the CD104, while retaining it's character, hence not chaning the opamps.

I have removed the DC blocking caps and replaced the opamp decoupling caps with some Cerafines I had lying around.
Old 1st May 2004, 06:04 PM   #4
Bricolo is offline Bricolo  France
diyAudio Member

Is this glue or explosed electrolytics?
Old 1st May 2004, 06:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

woooooh. no it's not like that. This stuff is much thinner and semi clear. I think it is a varnish or maybe flux ?

Looking closer I noticed a thread of the stuff from one cap to another. Either a micro spiderman is swinging from cap to cap or this is clear evidence of this being adhesive (and the application being a bit hit or miss)

Hide this!Advertise here!