CD63 KI won't read disks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:xeye: Help please!

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Marantz CD-63mkII KI which was known to be skipping tracks. Overall it looks in excellent condition with very little dust. When I tried it, it read the album data no problem, but skipped badly when playing, especially on early tracks. It would also freeze sometimes before skipping on. I tried cleaning the lens with a disk (no change) then a cotton bud but this made it far worse, hardly playing at all. After more messing it wouldn't even recognise the disk. I then spotted a small sliver of metal on the cotton bud tip. Using the manual I found on a forum (thanx ALW) I drove the laser out to find metal missing from what I guess is some kind of disk detector next to the laser. I removed the damaged fragments and took the enclosed photo.
In service mode I can see the laser, it moves for focus but doesn't settle (should it?) and spindle and radial seem to work OK. When I open / close the draw the disk does not rotate but I hear the laser clicking under the disk a couple of times before getting Err 02 (FOCUS err). Occasionally the disk will rotate and I then get Err 10 (RADIAL Err).
What do I need to replace? What is this bit anyway and what does it do? I see one option is to replace the whole tray mechanism for about 30GBP, but would it be better just to replace the laser?
All help / advice much appreciated (so long as it is not too conflicting......) :wave2:

Many thanks

Simon

Attachments

• cd63 laser2.jpg
    cd63 laser2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 826
Hi Simon,

I have just bought a CD 67 mk2 OSE, which (I`m told) has exactly the same problems: it skips, or doesn`t read the disk, or stops in the disc. And the error it shows is "Err 10 - radial error".

Did you get any further?

A week from now, I`ll have the player in my posession, and we`ll be able to help each other!

Who has any tips for us? Is it a laser problem, should we replace the CDM12?

Kind regards,

Berend

Most of the time the easiest way is to replace the CDM12.1 Newer modesl such as the VAM 1201 and VAM 1202 are better in lazer life. All my CD and VCD players with the 12.1 dies within a year or two. Replacing the mechanism is a routine for me. It cost about US$10 in the shops in Singapore.

cm said:
Most of the time the easiest way is to replace the CDM12.1 Newer modesl such as the VAM 1201 and VAM 1202 are better in lazer life. All my CD and VCD players with the 12.1 dies within a year or two. Replacing the mechanism is a routine for me. It cost about US$10 in the shops in Singapore.

Thanks for the advice!

Can anyone confirm the type of CDM12 used in the CD 67 Mk2 OSE? I read somewhere that it was a 12.3 (http://www.webmedia.pl/maciejza/zaplecze/cedeki.htm).

If it is a 12.3, can I take out the 12.3 and put in a 12.1?

Best regards,

Berend

Sorted!

Thanks for the advice djQUAN. I stripped the unit down and managed to get most of the fragments out and it now works great.

I found some really good instructions on removing the laser unit:

http://iangclark.net/projects/CD63/CD63.html

Berend,

Ref your query on the laser units it's as clear as mud! The quoted unit for my CD63-KI varies from CDM12.1 to 12.3, but actually fitted was a VAM1201 which is just a more up to date replacement as cm states. Compare the laser unit and connections of your '67 when you get it with the pics on the above site, and if it looks the same I suggest you get a VAM1201 if you need it.

The best source I've found for this is:-

http://www.dalbani.co.uk/catalogue/optical_pickups.php

If you're not sure, give them a call for advice. E-mail me if you want more details of exactly what was wrong with my CD player and how I fixed it.

Good Luck and thanks all,

simon_hsmith said:
Berend,

Ref your query on the laser units it's as clear as mud! The quoted unit for my CD63-KI varies from CDM12.1 to 12.3, but actually fitted was a VAM1201 which is just a more up to date replacement as cm states. Compare the laser unit and connections of your '67 when you get it with the pics on the above site, and if it looks the same I suggest you get a VAM1201 if you need it.

Thanks, Simon! Actually I`ve now found out that the laser is in fact a CDM12.1/15. Now the $64.000 question (well more precisely about £13 ;-)):

Should I buy a VAM1201 or a VAM1202? Due to the laser-life tip (thanks cm) I`ve scratched the cdm12.1 from the list. The VAM1202 costs £13+pp at Dalbani, the VAM1201 I can get in Holland for £16. Which is better?

Best regards,

Berend

I believe VAM1201 is single speed and VAM1202 is double speed. For music CD application, it does not matter as they are single speed anyway. In Singapore, VAM 1202 is the only one they sell. No brand generic parts are S$15, and Philips original are S$18 each. I have used VAM1202 in place of my CDM12.1 and it works.

CM

Amazing. I thought the transport was dead on my 67SE. As I no longer cared if I broke this thing any more, I took it to pieces and found the magnet was kind of messed up too, just like the photo above. After a quick attempt at cleaning, it works again.... perfectly.

And to think I was quoted EUR 100 to get it repaired. Thanks guys!!!

got caught with an ebay 63KI, wudnt even do TOC & wasnt very happy. bought new VMA1202 & replaced. Nothing wouldnt even spin.
went from error 10 err 02. the disc spins in the wrong direction!
bought a cheap cd53 & stole its transport. Worked but skipped bad but got better the more I played it.
read a tip of cleaning track & wd40'ing it & IT WORKED!!!!!!!!
Yipee but u know wot my old Philips cd8840 knocks spots off the KI.
Wish I hadnt bothered!

Rather old thread .. and now days any VAM 1202 you get from ebay and most other sellers is fake ...very fake

I am still getting those for a few euro 13 outside my door in Athens and if you are lucky you need to get 10 to find one working ...

Try Italian seller posed philips logos on ebay lasers come here Do not have the logo on the flex and one way or another never worked

Try Donberg pretty much the same again fake

The fake 1202 exist in the market 2-4 years ago worked so well that almost read the CD before the tray is even closed .

So any one knows a supplier that sells reliable 1202 please post here ... Cost is not an issue

Kind regards
Sakis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.