Need help selecting DAC chip

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's for a quasi-commercial project of mine, nothing too serious.
(I don't plan to make any real money of it, but I don't want to lose either :) )

I need help selecting a DAC chip, highest quality yet not too expensive (I guess ~8$/1K units will be fine).

I've just seen TI's (Actually Burr Brown) PCM4104, it's a new chip which is marketed as "High End", "Broadcasting grade" etc.
Problem is, it's 4ch, which makes it harder to both mount on the PCB (very small volume means I don't have SMD machinery) and to make layouts for.
Plus, I'm afraid its quality is less than comparable 2ch DACs.

Yet, it's the only Audio DAC specifically designated "High End" in TI's product matrix.
Is it all marketing pitch or what?

Anyway, anyone got a good sounding DAC he can recommend?
Should I just go ahead with that one?

I'll really appreciate it :)

Thanks!

TI DAC Product Matrix

roee said:
I've just seen TI's (Actually Burr Brown) PCM4104, it's a new chip which is marketed as "High End", "Broadcasting grade" etc.
Problem is, it's 4ch, which makes it harder to both mount on the PCB (very small volume means I don't have SMD machinery) and to make layouts for.

I wonder what the 4ch DAC would be like with the 2 stereo data inputs joined, and the outputs paralleled... somthing to think about trying.

The 1794/1792 would be the best choice for an OS DAC... but over your $8ea limit.

The 1730 is a resonable DAC, i used it in this:
http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/dac3/

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.