Best Philips/Marantz CDP?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We all know that Philips and Marantz made some legendary cd players that are definitely worth some time and money in mods.
So, i would like the opinion of people who have listened to a few different models and suggest which ones are the best overall (transport, DAC IC, etc).
I currently have a deffective CD650, which was one of the better ones.

Your opinions please!

homer09 said:
We all know that Philips and Marantz made some legendary cd players that are definitely worth some time and money in mods.
So, i would like the opinion of people who have listened to a few different models and suggest which ones are the best overall (transport, DAC IC, etc).
I currently have a deffective CD650, which was one of the better ones.

Your opinions please!

Hello homer09, In my opinion the Philips CD931 (or CD930) is better than the CD650 as a transport.:idea:

Re: Re: Best Philips/Marantz CDP?

Elso Kwak said:

Hello homer09, In my opinion the Philips CD931 (or CD930) is better than the CD650 as a transport.:idea:

well i was looking for an overall better player because i want to simply tweak the entire player, not only use as transport. so you say that a cdm9 is better than a cdm2?

Also, anyone know why there are tons of philips cd players available only on german ebay? they also only seem to ship to germany? where does that leave a canadian looking for a CDP to tweak? :confused:

I'm using Marantz CD-94 and I'm very happy with it

Pretty much the best one of all of them.

Hello homer09, In my opinion the Philips CD931 (or CD930) is better than the CD650 as a transport

Might be,but as a whole player to tweak CD 650 is ten times better.Is CDM 9 really better?
I kind of hardly belive since it is equipped with dc brush motor and CDM with brushless motor.I compared CDM 2 with CDM 4,and CDM 2 was better.But you are the wizz here so i belive you.

well i was looking for an overall better player because i want to simply tweak the entire player, not only use as transport. so you say that a cdm9 is better than a cdm2?

I will try to help you as I see it.

Top of the line:
Marantz 85/94/94MKII/95/12
Philips LHH1000

Medium ,very good:
Marantz CD80
Philips CD 880/960/304MKII

Those are very good machines!

Now,there are plenty of cheaper teoreticly weaker players that if tweaked can perform extremely well.Most of them are plastic cases and don't look good but some look nice.
In my opinion one of the best player from that lower level (plastic cases) is CD 650,and I would actually add it to Medium,very good list above.
Those are only Marantz/Philips players.
There were also Arcam,Magnavox,Rotel and others with CDM drives and TDA1541DAC.

Try to fix your CD 650.
Exellent player to tweak.

Bartek

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.