CD upgrade advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I currently use a 10-year old Rotel RCC-940AX 5-disc changer. The rest of my system is a foreplay pre, aksa 55 amp, and Ellis 1801b speakers.

Obviously, the next component to upgrade is the CD player. It only has toslink outputs. I've a/b'd the toslink v. analog using a Panasonic XR45 receiver and the digital sounded remarkably better. So I imagine it would be safe to say a DAC would improve things.

I would also like SACD but I've read troubling reviews of current low/medium priced SACD/CD players that make them seem more of a compromise with CD quality.

So should I mod my Rotel for CD and buy a second player for SACD? Is there something that can do both well? My budget for a new player is $500. The 5-disc capacity isn't a huge benefit to me.

Thanks.

Hi,

You have to ask yourself a few questions!?

How many sacd's you own:D, do you like the sound of your Rotel?

Because I myself don't like this hype around sacd/dvd. Most players offered, are indeed a compromise between sacd/cd/dvd and recording quality is not up to the high standards that we audiophiles want them to see, or what manufacturers want us to believe :D .

For the budget of $500 you could easily buy a second hand player and get that modded. Rotel, Teac, Pioneer & Marantz players are easy to get now.

But who am I? The only thing left to do is listen to some players and make up your mind what you want. Do not believe the hype, only believe your own ears.

René

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.