Dolby from PC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2004, 01:52 PM   #1
n0ne is offline n0ne  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Dolby from PC

Hi diyAudio peeps.... i'm new here and I've got a little question... here it goes...

I'd like to connect my computer to my dolby surround control machine.. (dunt know what it's called in englisch)... but the problem is: my sound card has 3 outputs witch go to my PC subhover witch devides it over my speakeres. When I connect the output for the front speakers to my dobly control machine (witch has 2 input whole's red and white) I get sound... but it's the sound for the 2 front speakers. So I guess that the suond going to the 2 wires from my pc to my dolby machine should send some sort of encoded signal so it can split this signal into dolby sound. So how do I get dolby from my PC to my dolby set...

I hope I'm clear enough :/.... else just ask...

ty, n0ne.

ps. I did search but I dont know al the words in englisch so I didn't really find what I was looking for :x.
Old 23rd April 2004, 03:33 PM   #2
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

You must have a soundcard made for this purpose, with 5 or 7 outputs.
Old 23rd April 2004, 04:07 PM   #3
TeePee is offline TeePee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The only PC audio which car encode to DD5.1 is the Soundstorm audio which comes with an Nforce 2 motherboard. PC soundcards like the Audigy range can pass a dolby signal through to it's digital outputs (from a DVD for example) but it can't encode the audio from a game, etc.
Old 23rd April 2004, 09:24 PM   #4
n0ne is offline n0ne  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I've got an Asus mother board with nForce2 on it. So how do I go from a reagular pc output, in witch you could put a headphone for instance to my dolby set. I've got a cable that goes from a headphone connector to a white and red tulip that I can insert into my dolby device. How do I encode this signal?...

thanx
Old 24th April 2004, 07:31 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have an nF2 without the MCP (hence no multichannel audio... I use an SB Live! 5.1), but I remember seeing an option you have to enable in some "nVidia audio control panel" application to encode Dolby on the outputs. BTW, this works on the "digital output", it does not work on the analog outputs (which might go to a Dolby matrix decoder). Hence, your dolby decoder must be digital, which in this day and age, I guess it is
Before you do all this, download the new ForceWare drivers from nVidia's website

Hide this!Advertise here!