Philips CD104 tweaks

jives11 said:
This site, sadly dead, appears to have a nice summary of the fixing through-the-board rivets or griplets issue.

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache...ets&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=2&client=firefox-a[/url]
Does CD 304 MK2 suffers from same problems?
I bought one yesterday , and it was workeing when I came to buy him , but when I came home it won´t read the toc from disc. Disc spins for reading and stops, but no track number shows on display?
Can you attach some pictures of problematic rivets? Is that a wire which shorts ground plane to downside pcb traces?

Gasho said:

Does CD 304 MK2 suffers from same problems?
I bought one yesterday , and it was workeing when I came to buy him , but when I came home it won´t read the toc from disc. Disc spins for reading and stops, but no track number shows on display?
Can you attach some pictures of problematic rivets? Is that a wire which shorts ground plane to downside pcb traces?

almost certainly. Looking at this web site

http://www.dcaudio.kgb.pl/philips304.htm

The top servo board looks the same as the one in the CD104 and the decoder board, while different looks to be constructed in a similar fashion.

Yes griplets are tiny rivets through the boards, which are then soldered over, so all you can see is a small dome of solder. There are also similar mounds where some wire links or capacitor leads are soldered to the copper groundplane. . The griplet holes have small diamond shape markings in the copper around the holes, though these may be hidden by the solder dome

I have the same problem.

I don´t understand how can player work , and yust by one drive home don´t. Plus I give some 100$ for machine.
Laser works , arm is on toc read position , motor spins but , there is no disc time ot number of tracks.

I will double check all sloder joints on all PCBs , and one with display and controls , the only thing I can think is bad contact or solder point which is lost contact coused by transport to my home.

Thanks.

But I think it is more brain matter than luck:idea: .

In that old stuff , anything can go wrong, contacts , solder joints , old caps.....
As i go back to think how did I handle with player ... The only things that can make him stop workeing are change from horizontal to vertical and back position , cold weather (change of temp.) , and vibrations in back seat of my car.
I resolder rivets and all solder jonts on servo board, audio board and even transport board. Nothing changed , still same problem.
I will look and resolder board behind front panel, maybe there is some logic chips with bad contacts.

Does anyone have some scheme?

Gasho said:
Thanks.

But I think it is more brain matter than luck:idea: .

In that old stuff , anything can go wrong, contacts , solder joints , old caps.....
As i go back to think how did I handle with player ... The only things that can make him stop workeing are change from horizontal to vertical and back position , cold weather (change of temp.) , and vibrations in back seat of my car.
I resolder rivets and all solder jonts on servo board, audio board and even transport board. Nothing changed , still same problem.
I will look and resolder board behind front panel, maybe there is some logic chips with bad contacts.

Does anyone have some scheme?

Hi Gasho, you have email disabled, but send me a mail with your address. I have the servicing guide and also the schematics. The servicing guide explains some of the debug modes of the player . You can send me email by clicking on my name in the left side

tubee said:
Hello Jives11

Do you have schematics of the 304mk2? If so, i am interested in them, now i have schematics only from a 304's 14 bit CDP.

Thanks in advance.

Apologies to all, especially Gasho.

I was being stupid and what I meant was I have the CD104 schematics, not the 304 (mk I or mk II). Some of the cicuits would seem similar i.e the servo board.

At the risk of being very cheeky I'd be interested in your 304 Mk I schematics though ? I wonder if Philps improved the analog section at all ?

If 104 uses same transport (cdm2) and servo circuits as 304 ,schematic will be OK.
I think the analog section , even DAC is one of simplest and it is not so difficult to make some tweaks.
The best tweak in this machines will be new and far better power supply with better and more separated regulation.

Transport-logic-display-processor-filter-dac-analog separation.

It have space for such tweak, separate chambers inside housing.

Yes , problem i stil here.

It is time for scope:devilr: No Mr. nice guy.

I am pretty mad , the one hour of transport to my home , and machine is dead.

I am thinking about , bad conection, temp. shock , vibrations.

Laser cannot be dead , maybe crystal clock for microcontroler(vibrations) , some old caps in power supply or some oscillation cicuit.

Does power supplyes have same time sequence when player is powered, which is important for proper circuit ignition? I mean caps charge time in various supplyes.