Philips CD104 tweaks

hi ,
found another way to add an extra transformer .just to power analog stage only.

Attachments

• cimg0579.jpg
    cimg0579.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,067
requesting serive manual

Hi all,

I finally dig up my CD104 player from my storage room. I bought it from e-bay several years ago, the seller claimed that it worked OK. When I got it, I noticed there was no sound from one of the channel but it played CD alright. Now, I power it on but the error led lights up. No sound! I read through all 41 pages of this thread and take notes. I also download the service manual from the web but later find out that the manual is incomplete. So if anyone has a complete service manual for CD104, would you mind sending it to me? My e-mail address is gundam083hk (AT) yahoo (dot) com

Thanks.

Johnny

Hi.

If the player has been in storage for any time, The lens will almost certainly need cleaning.

Search this thread for 'griplets' and do the resoldering of them. Then recheck the player. Do a proper job!!!!!!!

No sound from 1 channel may be a bad solder joint or a faulty muting relay.

Andy

Hi guys,
yesterday I made the non oversampling modification on my CD104 by removing the SAA7030 chip and switching the SAA7000 directly to TDA1540. SAA7000 was set to 14bit mode of course ;)

The direct comparison between this CD104 and CD304 MKII (unmodified) revealed the obvious difference between these two players and both oversampling and non oversampling modes.
Removing the SAA7030 brought forward the dynamics hidden on the CD :D
Anyone asking himself "to do NOS, or not to do NOS" should try this modification.

I made one more comparison. This time it was between TDA1540(with NOS) and TDA1541A(with NOS). Honestly listening to TDA1541A without oversampling makes my ears buzzing, ALTHOUGH the sound of 1541A is a bit more "juicy" and the first listening impressions are very positive. There's no such a ting when I listen to the TDA1540 DAC with removed oversampling.

Regards:
Venci

NOS and Intermodulation distortion

I read with interest the various members accounts of applying the NOS modification. I am a great fan of the TDA1540, having a small collection of early Philips CD players from the CD100 to the CD304 with a CD104 probably being my favorite along with a Grundig CD1750 which is the best sounding Philips TDA1540 machine I have ever heard. I will probably try the NOS mod to see if I can hear any improvement.

However, I believed that the primary reason for the oversampling design in the first place was to place the artifacts produced by the digital process well outside of the audio frequency where they could be filtered out by a fairly gentle final low pass filter avoiding the intermodulation distortion that would otherwise be produced. The NOS mod surely negates this and would require a much steeper shelving filter (with the inherent problems that produces) to reduce the artifacts by the same amount. Are we in fact saying that the distortions introduced by the over-sampling method are greater than the distortion caused by not over-sampling?