Philips CD104 tweaks - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2006, 06:06 AM   #81
Gasho is offline Gasho  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jives11
This site, sadly dead, appears to have a nice summary of the fixing through-the-board rivets or griplets issue.

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:...=firefox-a</a>
Does CD 304 MK2 suffers from same problems?
I bought one yesterday , and it was workeing when I came to buy him , but when I came home it wonīt read the toc from disc. Disc spins for reading and stops, but no track number shows on display?
Can you attach some pictures of problematic rivets? Is that a wire which shorts ground plane to downside pcb traces?
Old 24th February 2006, 06:16 AM   #82
jives11 is offline jives11  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gasho

I bought one yesterday , and it was workeing when I came to buy him , but when I came home it wonīt read the toc from disc. Disc spins for reading and stops, but no track number shows on display?
Can you attach some pictures of problematic rivets? Is that a wire which shorts ground plane to downside pcb traces?
almost certainly. Looking at this web site

http://www.dcaudio.kgb.pl/philips304.htm

The top servo board looks the same as the one in the CD104 and the decoder board, while different looks to be constructed in a similar fashion.

Yes griplets are tiny rivets through the boards, which are then soldered over, so all you can see is a small dome of solder. There are also similar mounds where some wire links or capacitor leads are soldered to the copper groundplane. . The griplet holes have small diamond shape markings in the copper around the holes, though these may be hidden by the solder dome
Old 24th February 2006, 06:26 AM   #83
diyAudio Member

Ouuu that was fast.

Thank you.
Old 24th February 2006, 09:41 AM   #84
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Quote:

The answer is YES!!
As do all similar machines manufactured around this time. B&O, Mission etc.

The servo board is the same except for the uP.

See post 41 on this thread.

Andy
Old 24th February 2006, 10:47 AM   #85
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Lightbulb Well known

Yes well known defect from service record! Resolder the joints!
Old 24th February 2006, 01:34 PM   #86
drews is offline drews  Italy
diyAudio Member

I have the same problem with cd-304mkII but I don't have found the problem.
Disc spins for reading and stops, but no track number shows on display, I see that the problem is the arm because it doesn't start.
I dont't know why......
Old 24th February 2006, 08:52 PM   #87
diyAudio Member

I have the same problem.

I donīt understand how can player work , and yust by one drive home donīt. Plus I give some 100$ for machine.
Laser works , arm is on toc read position , motor spins but , there is no disc time ot number of tracks.

I will double check all sloder joints on all PCBs , and one with display and controls , the only thing I can think is bad contact or solder point which is lost contact coused by transport to my home.
Old 24th February 2006, 09:13 PM   #88
tubee is offline tubee  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Right price i think, but for a working one.

Have a mk2 also, while ago the arm did not move anymore. One of the connectors of servo pcb had a bad connection.

good luck
Old 25th February 2006, 05:56 AM   #89
diyAudio Member

Thanks.

But I think it is more brain matter than luck .

In that old stuff , anything can go wrong, contacts , solder joints , old caps.....
As i go back to think how did I handle with player ... The only things that can make him stop workeing are change from horizontal to vertical and back position , cold weather (change of temp.) , and vibrations in back seat of my car.
I resolder rivets and all solder jonts on servo board, audio board and even transport board. Nothing changed , still same problem.
I will look and resolder board behind front panel, maybe there is some logic chips with bad contacts.

Does anyone have some scheme?
Old 25th February 2006, 08:00 AM   #90
jives11 is offline jives11  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks.

But I think it is more brain matter than luck .

In that old stuff , anything can go wrong, contacts , solder joints , old caps.....
As i go back to think how did I handle with player ... The only things that can make him stop workeing are change from horizontal to vertical and back position , cold weather (change of temp.) , and vibrations in back seat of my car.
I resolder rivets and all solder jonts on servo board, audio board and even transport board. Nothing changed , still same problem.
I will look and resolder board behind front panel, maybe there is some logic chips with bad contacts.

Does anyone have some scheme?
Hi Gasho, you have email disabled, but send me a mail with your address. I have the servicing guide and also the schematics. The servicing guide explains some of the debug modes of the player . You can send me email by clicking on my name in the left side

Hide this!Advertise here!