Philips CD104 tweaks - Page 73 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2010, 12:43 PM   #721
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
If it works, leave it alone !!

Old 26th March 2010, 12:12 PM   #722
Douma is offline Douma  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Today is the first day of a CD104 modification adventure. I just received a CD104 and took it apart. Now I'm looking for a service manual with the decoder board part. Could somebody be so kind and send me a copy? My email address is rienk(dot)douma(at)gmail(dot)com.
Thank you!
Old 1st May 2010, 09:53 AM   #723
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I have SM CD204 and CD304, completed. I'm interested in CD104. My e-mail is alekspinkfloyd@rambler.ru.
Thank you!
Aleksandr,
Sevastopol
Old 7th September 2010, 05:55 PM   #724
SDS is offline SDS  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr1ts View Post
Also, I noticed there has been some work on this little player before. On the bottom side of the Servo PCB someone added a 1K resistor. See pic and artwork What's the purpose of this mod? Should I remove it?

Thanxs for all the info in this thread!!
Hi.
Great thread, I have yet to read the 50 pages in the middle of it!

Concerning this "1K resistor": It is not a resistor but a decoupling capacitor accross "Focus" driver transistors (6231-6232) supplys, I'd recommend leaving it in, in any case. (Although i have not yet done PS noise or "eye pattern" measurements with and without.)
I have two CD104 one servo board has the cap, the other does not, and it seems like a factory mod to me.
Old 7th September 2010, 08:27 PM   #725
SDS is offline SDS  France
diyAudio Member

I do more repairs than mods, most of the time when I start on a CD104 or any other Philips of the same era I start by redoing all solders including SMD and without forgetting ground plane vias.
After only, if the player is still not working, start looking for "real faults".

Some are:
Spindle motor gone stiff, needs taking appart old grease cleaned off new grease back in.
Slack/Broken tray belt.
Bad electrolytics on CDM1 "U" shaped board.
Deformed/Sagging spring on focus lens.
Bad contacts in Mute/Pre-emphasis reed switches.

As for modding the most obvious to me would be getting a 16bit DAC in and adding some shielding between the Servo and DAC boards that are too close on the track sides.
Old 25th February 2011, 10:35 AM   #726
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I'm another happy owner of good old Philips CD. Already done a lot of mods to my CD350:
-NOS
-changed all caps to Silmics & MUSE
-installed separate pcb with wima mkps for 2 TDA1540
-put some decent RCAs
-mains filter and socket
-replaced some SMD caps with wima mks

waiting for a separate clock module that will be attached to dedicated power supply.

meanwhile would like to install dedicated voltage regulators (LM317 i think) for 2 x TDA1540. Need to clarify few very simple things

-would it be enough to put 1.8VA transformer (9v, 200mA) to feed voltage regulator module based on Lm317 and TDA1540 (+5v only). Didn't find any consumption related data in TDA's specifications.

-according to TDA's specifications there should be 3 typical supply voltages +5, -5, -17. Pins 4,7 and 11 accordingly where 6th is the GND. So for +5 it's pretty clear - I need to connect DC output (pic in att) to pin 4 and GND to pin 6, right? Could anyone pls explaint me how to get -5V? Should I use LM317-LM337 scheme (att)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SP-1LM317SCH.jpg (59.2 KB, 344 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TDA1540P.pdf (187.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: zip LM317_LM337.zip (594.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 25th February 2011, 11:08 AM   #727
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
I would use a larger VA supply for the +5v and also for the -ve supply.
( I realise the space may be limited for extra transformers )

The -ve supplies can be from the same transformer.

Andy
Old 25th February 2011, 01:57 PM   #728
diyAudio Member

thanks Andy,

now i got the point - I need some decent transformer 9v-0-9v or with 2x9v secondaries to get +ve and -ve.

btw is there any point installing two toroids, for instance, with dual secondaries for 2 TDA1540 or simply save some space and use only one, so there would be one LM317-LM337 module output of which would be connected to both TDAs +5,-5???

Quote:
Originally Posted by poynton View Post
I would use a larger VA supply for the +5v and also for the -ve supply.
how do you think what is the minimum to supply TDA's + & - 5v? Some 5VA or should be higher? if two of them I guess should be 10VA already then...
Old 26th February 2011, 12:33 PM   #729
diyAudio Member

Another option would be to use the standard power supply caps, improve their size and quality and get your unregulated DC from them.

I did so with my CD304 and my CD304 MKII – two additional LM317/337 for the +/-12V of the op-amps, two for the +/-5V of the TDAs and one -10V/-12V for the mostly analog -15V/-17V of the TDAs. For the -10V/-12V, I used the -5V as ground potential.

The results were fine and everything could be fitted inside of the CDPs.

For the CD350, I would go with a second transformer of about 30VA or bigger and dedicated smoothing caps as the standard supply is not as good as in the CDx04 versions and you have enough space to work with.

Apart from the mods you already did, I would suggest to get rid of the muting transistor and go direct from some better op-amps (OPA2134, OPA2604, LM4562, AD826) via a foil cap (2,2uF to 6,8uF, depending on your pre-amp) to the RCAs. Different op-amps can easily be heard while its harder with the difference between different foil caps.

Best regards,

StefanAC
Old 26th February 2011, 01:26 PM   #730
diyAudio Member

cheers StefanAC!

a lot of mods still to be done and indeed there is a lot of space inside of CD350 Regarding LM317/337, did I get you right that I would need two sets of them (for +5, -5) feeding from one decent transformer? btw, any point using some good toroidal or could stay with a simple one?

Could you also pls advice me which capacity to use in LM317/337 smoothing part? I have good new BC 136 470uf caps, I was thinking to put 3-4pcs per rectifier or should be more?

I've read somewhere on the forum that OPA2132 is not so bad, much better than the original LM833 and NE5532. Which from the listed would you consider to be more aggressive and fast?

Frankly speaking didn't get about the foil cap, will use some search

thanks for your help!

Hide this!Advertise here!