Philips CD104 tweaks - Page 25 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2006, 12:07 PM   #241
JeroenR is offline JeroenR  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Amersfoort
Tube output is working... and not.

I added the tube stage after the 1540 (see diagrams posted earlier). Good news is that there is music and so dar as I can judge it is ok. Bad news is the additional sounds...

With additional sounds I mean :
- lots of hummmmmm...... well, that should be not too difficult to solve, perhaps the transistor schema suggested before. Or... Humm due to incorrect heater supply?? I noticed that the 6,3V supply does not give more then 5V!!! I need a bigger TX, the 6V 800mA probably gives not enough room for the TL1085.
- digital noises; When I press play there is this "weewee plop plop buzzzzz" before the music starts. The weewee plop plop stops then but the higher buzzzz continues through the music. It is like R2D2 does an intro before the music starts and then wisstles along.

The digital noise must be due to 2 things; first the removed muting stage, well nothing to do here I guess as that is gone forever and second the lack of filtering (except for the RC 22ohm/150nF after dac).

I can live with R2D2 doing the intro's but I want to get rid of the higher buzzz. Would anybody have a suggestion for a better method of filtering between dac and tubes?

Thanks,

Jeroen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 104.jpg (91.2 KB, 1009 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2006, 12:23 PM   #242
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
poynton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Quote:
Originally posted by JeroenR
Tube output is working... and not.

I added the tube stage after the 1540 (see diagrams posted earlier). Good news is that there is music and so dar as I can judge it is ok. Bad news is the additional sounds...

With additional sounds I mean :
- lots of hummmmmm...... well, that should be not too difficult to solve, perhaps the transistor schema suggested before. Or... Humm due to incorrect heater supply?? I noticed that the 6,3V supply does not give more then 5V!!! I need a bigger TX, the 6V 800mA probably gives not enough room for the TL1085.
- digital noises; When I press play there is this "weewee plop plop buzzzzz" before the music starts. The weewee plop plop stops then but the higher buzzzz continues through the music. It is like R2D2 does an intro before the music starts and then wisstles along.

The digital noise must be due to 2 things; first the removed muting stage, well nothing to do here I guess as that is gone forever and second the lack of filtering (except for the RC 22ohm/150nF after dac).

I can live with R2D2 doing the intro's but I want to get rid of the higher buzzz. Would anybody have a suggestion for a better method of filtering between dac and tubes?

Thanks,

Jeroen

Hi.

Hum possibly due to heaters or maybe the HT supply.
Try a battery supply for the heaters or disconnect while playing to see if the noise disappears.

Add more capacitors to HT.
It may also be due to too much current being drawn causing a drop in voltage - use regulator for lower HT as per my previous post.

For filtering, see Thorstens circuit for other dacs and adapt the filter [ use choke etc] He has posted a revised circuit I believe.

Cheers for now and good luck, JeroenR, I will be away now for 5 weeks or so.

Andy
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2006, 12:39 PM   #243
JeroenR is offline JeroenR  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Amersfoort
Quote:
Originally posted by poynton



Hi.

Hum possibly due to heaters or maybe the HT supply.
Try a battery supply for the heaters or disconnect while playing to see if the noise disappears.

Add more capacitors to HT.
It may also be due to too much current being drawn causing a drop in voltage - use regulator for lower HT as per my previous post.

For filtering, see Thorstens circuit for other dacs and adapt the filter [ use choke etc] He has posted a revised circuit I believe.

Cheers for now and good luck, JeroenR, I will be away now for 5 weeks or so.

Andy
Hi Andy,

Thanks again.

Have a great time on the Azores.

I'll keep posting.

Jeroen
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2006, 02:53 PM   #244
Geoff is offline Geoff  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: UK
Default CD104 Service Manual

It would appear that several participants in this thread have a copy of the CD104 Service Manual.

I have just been able to replace the CD104 that I foolishly scrapped about ten years ago(before I had web access and was aware of the mechanism it uses) and as I am sure that the replacement will benefit from some care and attention (replacement electrolytics etc) I would be very grateful if someone could send me a copy of the Service Manual (and any other relevant information). Please email it to :

mail DOT tcaas AT btinternet DOT com

Thanks in anticipation,

Geoff
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2006, 05:03 PM   #245
jives11 is offline jives11  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
jives11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hampshire
glad to but 12Mb zipped !

if you have the quota then you should have mail by now. If not I'd guess your ISP doesn't allow such large attachments
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2006, 05:43 PM   #246
Geoff is offline Geoff  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: UK
Files received. Many thanks. A little light reading for me this evening!
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2006, 06:12 PM   #247
diyAudio Member
 
Bernhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Munich
The best tweak for a CD104 or CD304 would be to upgrade to a CD304mkII DAC board ---> 16 bit + digital out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 12:20 PM   #248
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Enschede
Could someone please send me the service manual so that I can continue my tweaks for the 104?
henkjohan "at" hotmail "dot" com

btw, this is my player so far
http://midiserver.student.utwente.nl...104/cd_104.htm
__________________
Doe iets goed, of doe het niet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 12:51 PM   #249
jives11 is offline jives11  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
jives11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hampshire
Quote:
Originally posted by MidiMaze
Could someone please send me the service manual so that I can continue my tweaks for the 104?
henkjohan "at" hotmail "dot" com

btw, this is my player so far
http://midiserver.student.utwente.nl...104/cd_104.htm
you have mail
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 01:51 PM   #250
jives11 is offline jives11  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
jives11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hampshire
Quote:
Originally posted by jives11


you have mail
ah no. one servicing guide made it, but the schematics didn't due to being 12.5Mb zipped. any other way to get this to you ?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Philips CD104 Bob Roberts Digital Source 14 24th September 2004 03:25 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:42 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2