Is this a real TDA1541A?

Hi there,

I've gone through most of the thread and still can't figure out what the deal with the 1541 HHH chips is, I just obtained an old Phillips CD-640 with one of those inside which I plan to yank out very soon as try out in my DAC.

If anyone could provide some insights, they would be much appreciated.

Can anyone shed a light on the following picture and tell me if this could be genuine?

"NOS "New old Stock" Philips DAC Chip.
TDA1541A S2 HSH 0449 2 originally built in Holland.!

As far as i know, these chips are from the last lot of these types.
Made in 2004, on latest Philips Production Line, with advanced technology.
No after band- selection, because the quality was already on the
double crown -level when they came out of the production line.
Only to supply High End OEM-s like Marantz and other audiophile vendors,
with spare parts for there latest CD-players and D/A-s.
"

According to the seller the signature on the chip is laser engraved.

Attachments

• tda1541.JPG
    tda1541.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 943
Look at the first picture of the thread !

maybe for money...you don't know really how it was made ; some fakes with art objects of low value exist also and are really maid with false good quality but stay fake !

For me it looks like a genuine one I had from a Philips CD301 but not A grade. But with the only four letters (instead 5 most of times)... last number begin wit hsh87;;; so from 87 !

mine have no philips logo ! but is true non A.... So here on the first picture they add at least a A or the complete marking is a fake.
You can not know just with marking according to me. Best is to buy a second hand low cost device and forgett about S grade nowadays.

Last edited:
I2Paq, are you looking for a replacement in your DAC? In that case I think you could spend your money better on other stuff.... There is not a land-slide difference in quality only in minor details. And with all due respect, I think it is wiser to first optimize your current DAC before changing the TDA...

I2Paq, are you looking for a replacement in your DAC? In that case I think you could spend your money better on other stuff.... There is not a land-slide difference in quality only in minor details. And with all due respect, I think it is wiser to first optimize your current DAC before changing the TDA...

The DAC will be fully serviced in May.

I'm just trying to determine if the offered TDA is genuine.

Genuine chips are around but need to do your homework really well. Expect S1 and S2 to be forgeries as most for sale are these days.

eBay especially is riddled with fakes

to make it worse the forgery's have got so good it cant be seen easily any more ( the examples below are really obvious forgeries - very crude).

Just to make eBay really dodgy scammers have taken over genuine ebay accounts heaps since eBay got hacked in April so you cant even trust the seller history and feedback any more.

In my opinion these photos below are all forgery relabelled TDA1541A. Some sold on eBay this year for over $500.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_1.JPG

418818d1400231867-real-tda1541a-tda1541.jpg

Last edited:
I've have been informed by former Philips Semiconductor that the TDA1541S2 has not been produced after 2000 by Philips in The Netherlands.

The whole production of the TDA1541 range has stopped since 2000, even in Asia.

Therefore are the onces you buy that have been produced after 2000 (probably) fake, at least the are produced by others than Philips.

Overall, I distrust all S1 and S2 that are not from a CD player, and do not consider your purchase of any provider in Asia. To the TDA1541A is better to buy a CD player and remove old ... no doubt about its origin and authenticity.

I can consider purchasing an official philips service my city, but never ... internet costs too much earn money to throw in fakes.

It is only my opinion

Mmhhh....Maybe I found the answer on my question. In the word 'TDA1541A' on the IC the letters 'A' are not correct. When you take a sharp look at the letter 'A' on genuine IC's are more round on top. The letter 'A' on the fake IC's go in straight line to the top. I'm almost certain that I bought a fake one :headbash:

Actually the IC does not sound all that bad. I also got a genuine TDA1541A from an broken Arcam CD player from the year 1993. Both IC's sound different in the DAC.

I just wonder how those working fakes are produced. Are they manufactured on the original production facility and rejected at quality control? Then someone picked up the vaste box and walked away with it?
The source of non-working fakes is evident: there can be anything of zero value internally, labeling does not cost much either. The interesting issue is through what channels they go to distributors.

@Oshifis. I guess that you mean where the fakes are produced? The genuine production of TDA1541A stopped somewhere in 1997-1998. So every new produced TDA IC is a fake.

Most probably is that counterfeiters got a batch of NOS TDA1541 / TDA1541A or pulled IC's out of old CD players.

Just clean the IC's to get rid of the original markings. Then with the use of plates put the new markings on the IC and voila.