Is this a real TDA1541A?

This is not true. If the chip is running at the correct supply voltages and isn't subject to any out of range input ie static discharge, there won't be any "wear" on it based on the time its in operation. I've had numerous players with this dac and never had a single issue with deterioration performance. I've not seen a failure of a chip on its own when it was being run in its factory specified parameters. I only had one bad chip from a unit that was subject to a power surge.
Several users whose players developed the dreaded noise fault have reported carefully checking supply voltages and sequence. They were not admitting to handling the chips.
I am aware of a few chip types with poor long term reliability due to metal migration, unusual materials (which may be the issue here as these DACs were trimmed) and poor package sealing.
These are very rare in the huge number of IC types made over the years.

Just some random comments...
All my stand-alone TDA1541A's have been orderd from eBay (China, Malaysia or Singapore as a seller source). I ordered other DACs and ICs (PCM63, AD1862, etc from same sources)
No issue, but I have not bench tested any IC to confirm performance.
This was well over 12 years ago. Sellers may have been more honest then, can't say for sure.
If you can find a trustworthy seller, stick with that seller and let him know he carries the "good stuff" and you will be a repeat customer, leaving good eBay feedback, if he continues to supply the "good stuff".
Much of the orig. Magnavox CDPs had ICs with strange markings, no "Philips" log, etc. But they all sounded fine stock AFAICT. Also, the cottage industry from the late mid 80s to early 90s, modding Mags for a modest price, took the Mags way above and beyond their OEM sonics. So you don't need bling or $$ to get goodness from a generic 1541 IC.

Is this a genuine TDA1541A? Others I've seen have a vertical bar to the left of the Philips logo.

Attachments

• 20231210_152202.jpg
    20231210_152202.jpg
    493.8 KB · Views: 87
Can anyone shed a light on the following picture and tell me if this could be genuine?

"NOS "New old Stock" Philips DAC Chip.
TDA1541A S2 HSH 0449 2 originally built in Holland.!

As far as i know, these chips are from the last lot of these types.
Made in 2004, on latest Philips Production Line, with advanced technology.
No after band- selection, because the quality was already on the
double crown -level when they came out of the production line.
Only to supply High End OEM-s like Marantz and other audiophile vendors,
with spare parts for there latest CD-players and D/A-s.
"

According to the seller the signature on the chip is laser engraved.
Hi,
Amoung other tda1541a dac chips I also have 3 of these HSH0449 version.
I bought them many years ago at a reliable seller in the Netherlands which had them for years somewhere in stock.
They sound very good, fake or not.

Ad.

Attachments

• 20240123_145457.jpg
    20240123_145457.jpg
    631.6 KB · Views: 72
This thread should have long time ago being renamed. It is well known that there are a lot of "fake" "S1", "S2", "R1" and even non-A versions marked as "A" versions, but I do not know of any incident, where there was not a real Philips TDA1541(A) chip/die inside.
So, what remains are remarked ICs.

So, basically they're all genuine Philips, some might be original rejects, some might be lower grades marked S1 or S2, or as the myth goes that R1 was a better grade as non-marked ones.
If they work, especially in simultaneous mode, they are all "original, non-fake" Philips.
I personally can not understand people, who insist on "never used / NOS" - you're guaranteed to be fooled. And you have now benefit other than "virginity".

Fact is, no "out of factory" TDA1541(A) ever was laser marked. So member advr was fooled, those ICs are most likely remarked ordinary TDA1541As - not S1, not S2 and not R1 - but maybe even the older TDA1541 non-A.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Laszlo,

then my sentence "Fact is, no "out of factory" TDA1541(A) ever was laser marked. ..." shall apply. It is very likely that most of the actual offered ICs are pulled from equipment. After the 800°C proban flame that have pulled them out of their original equipment, some of them have given up. I guess nobody in the "aftermarket" QA cares about if they are still working after applying the laser marking ;) Thats why I don't understand people charging against members here in the forum who are admittingly selling pulled parts - tested - and buy assumingly "NOS" parts from everywhere in the internet. I even was offended in this forum when offering parts (I was assuming "pulled" was standard as of the 2020s).

Best regards, Markus

Fact is, no "out of factory" TDA1541(A) ever was laser marked. So member advr was fooled, those ICs are most likely remarked ordinary TDA1541As - not S1, not S2 and not R1 - but maybe even the older TDA1541 non-A.

First I just was glad to get those TDA1541A s1 dacs. They were definitely not pulled from equipment. They were with normal price.
Probably they are A's as when applying the Grundig mod, sound changes.
Real S1 I never heard. No problem for me. I build my one dac /streamer and really enjoying how it sounds.

Ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys I just bought four TDA1541A on eBay because I thought it was a good deal $62 each and plan on making a quad TDA1541A NOS DAC in the future. Are they legit?

Also @lcsaszar I am wondering if you bought it from the same seller. I bought it from a Japanese seller. You said it doesn't work or were the "laser-engraved" ones different from the picture you showed?

By the way these are not my photos these were from the ebay listing
https://www.ebay.com/itm/256175875868

Also should I have gotten the Taiwan version? I want the best sound. Where do I buy them? I'm sure I can still cancel it because the seller seemed nice enough.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 25
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg