Marantz CD48 no disc error help please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am after some help with what is hopefully a simple problem. I have an old Marantz CD48 which I bought in 1998 or so. I recently got it back out of storage, and it played straight away. Not long after it stopped part-way through a disc and now only gives "no disc" when you put one in. I popped the case off to observe, with no disc, the tray closes and the lens bobs up and down a few times. I closed the curtains and put a piece of white card in front of it and you can see the red laser spot, though I've no idea how bright it is meant to be. With a disc it does the same, and doesn't spin. It looked clean, though I didn't try cleaning the lens, but there was only a little dust and nothing else. Is it just a case of replacing the laser/transport? These (VAM1202) are around a tenner on ebay, or should I be checking something else? I'm not great with electronics but I can fix just about anything mechanical.
Many thanks
John

Joined 2009
Paid Member
There should be an adjustment screw or two on the laser module to adjust the current/focus. If you carefully mark where it is set originally and turn it up a tiny fraction it might fix the problem. There is a video on YouTube explaining it a lot better than I am. lol. YouTube

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You might get lucky and find a new pickup fixes it, however a big problem is the quality of these 'new' VAM's as they are not genuine Philips parts (which have been out of production for years).

Its certainly worth a try though if all else fails. The grease used on the sled was a problem with early pickups and its worth checking the sled is working correctly and moving freely (free being a relative term with the design of these).

Thanks chaps (?) will check it out. Everything seemed to be moving snappily, so it was pretty strange when it just stopped. It did seem to be making more noise than I remember when the disc was spinning, as though something was sliding (plastic on plastic), I ignored it in case it was just a symptom of something not used for years, and it's wasn't that loud.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.