PC music players - Page 27 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th June 2004, 03:14 AM   #261
diyAudio Member

Default Re: I saw this and thougt of you all........

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackDog
It's an active crossover add-in for Foobar.....!!

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/show.php/showtopic/22605

I know Robert's spent alot of time in Linux, but this might fit the bill !!
At least it HAS to be easier to configure!!!

SteveM

Interesting, but has a long way to go. I just happened to be putzing with Foobar and my new(ish) Emu 1820M, so I grabbed it. Completely croaks with a 3-way setup with 3000 tap filters on my Athlon 2200+ w/ resampling @96k. Apparently he's not using fast convolution, which pretty much renders it academic - you can't get long enough filters to make it interesting. I had to drop the filters to 300 taps to get things working @96k. (I don't have an appropriate 44k session setup on the Emu to try at the moment).

It *does* work as expected with a multichannel ASIO output setup, though - this is good.

Still, if folks band together to make the convolver, resample and this new divider plugin work together on standard hardware, it would be a pretty nice combination.
Old 24th June 2004, 04:25 AM   #262
diyAudio Member

Default Fantastic results

Ok, I've spent the day fooling with Octave and FIR filter construction and had a lot of fun (really). One interesting factoid - Octave NEVER crashed. I'm running version 2.1.57 (debian install).

Make sure you get the octave-forge package (version 2.1.50 debian) or the equivalent package from sourceforge. This has a great fir construction function called "fir1".

Here's my procedure in Octave workspace:
i=linspace(1,16384,16384); #I'm making 16k tap filters
hir=fir1(16384,3800/22050,'high'); #the high-pass impulse response
lir=fir1(16384,3800/22050,'low'); #low-pass ir
hirtxt=hir(i); #my klugey way of taking 16384 elements
lirtxt=lir(i); #from the 16385 element impulse responses
save -ascii (file address) hirtxt
save -ascii (file address) lirtxt

Strip the leading lines of text from these 2 files and you've got beautiful 16k tap filters with crossover at 3800Hz. I'm running 16 partitions of 512 in brutefir.

You can get a great plot of the frequency response and phase response using the following:

freqz(hir) #plots the high-pass
freqz(lir) #plots the low-pass

The soundstage has really become fantastic. Can't believe how good this sounds!!!!!!!

More reports later.

-Robert
Old 24th June 2004, 05:16 AM   #263
MWP is offline MWP  Australia
diyAudio Member

Ive just tried to install octave...
Robert, did you install from RPM or from source tarballs?
Im trying to install from source, but it says its missing "mkoctfile" which i cant see to download from anywhere.
Old 24th June 2004, 05:27 AM   #264
diyAudio Member

Default Octave

Debian package installation works great for both octave and octave-forge; I use the Synaptic gui installer which is soooo easy.

That's what I used.

I'm really having fun listening at the moment.

-Robert
Old 24th June 2004, 03:11 PM   #265
diyAudio Member

Default cpu hog

Sound is still great. All types of music.
Stability is very good. Had 2 jack crashes last night in ~5 hrs testing during a period when my ISP was doing maintenance and I was web-browsing.
Brutefir is using avg 12% of cpu now with 4 16k filters.

-Robert
Old 24th June 2004, 05:47 PM   #266
wytco0 is offline wytco0  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Robert, I have been following this thread with interest for some tiome now. Would you consider posting a summary of what you have done and why as its getting a bit difficult to pick out the details with so many postings?

Thanks and good luck with this project.
Old 24th June 2004, 10:01 PM   #267
diyAudio Member

Hi All,
I was guided by SAAM in foobar2000 forum here.
Simple responce to comment.
(1) Resampling,convolver usage
It can be used but requires more CPU resources.

(2) Maybe if you use faster CPU you will buy in 2 or 3 years,
it will be easier for any PC users.

Fuctionality and performance is trade-off for computer software.

I have been working for computer engineering(almost 30years!) , now this is the time or start for computer based music player, I felt.This is satrt, so we have to prioritize requirements/needs now.
Maybe if you take advantage of faster CPU(s), you may use your prefereable plugin you are talking about than current situation.

Bugs are coming but we can fix , performance is another thing...
Old 25th June 2004, 07:47 AM   #268
MWP is offline MWP  Australia
diyAudio Member

Robert, can you do me a favor and gzip up mkoctfile and attach it here?
I cant get octave compiling without it and i cant find anywhere else to download it
Old 25th June 2004, 02:32 PM   #269
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AEDIO_Japan
[B]

(2) Maybe if you use faster CPU you will buy in 2 or 3 years,
it will be easier for any PC users.
[/]
Well, having to spend $3000 on a PC just to do a crossover pretty much defeats the purpose. For close to that price, you can just get a DEQX.

Quote:

Bugs are coming but we can fix , performance is another thing...
Sure you can do something about performance - use a Fast Convolution algorithm rather than direct-form. Every other 'realtime' convolver that I'm aware of that runs on a PC does this. As you will see from reading this thread, the BruteFIR software on Linux can run 8 channels of 128k filters on very modest hardware. With that as the 'competition', I don't see how your plug-in will ever be truly useful in comparison.

In terms of suggestions for improving your plug-in, I would consider splitting it into two pieces - one piece being the filter creation, the other being the actual FIR plugin engine. This would allow the user to modify the filters to correct for speaker/driver response and/or use fully custom filters.
Old 25th June 2004, 09:20 PM   #270
diyAudio Member

Default mkoctfile and summary

Mark,

I just did a search for mkoctfile and can't find it in my system. I'll look some more, but it appears that debian doesn't use the same build process for octave. Is it difficult for non-debian users to access the debian package system?

wytco0,

I've been thinking for awhile about summarizing this project for the benefit of everyone, including myself. I had intended to write it up after the first success with drc (digital room correction). Then, we would have a good solid level of performance from which to jump the next level. Also, I could show overall system response curves as part of the summary. I don't expect to have much difficulty with drc but it's likely to take another week or so. After that, I promise a write-up.

Meanwhile, I haven't yet mastered simple recording procedures. I'm using arecord and can't figure out which channel of alsamixer controls the recording level. Can arecord plug into jack while the player is also hooked up?

Once I have the system response, it will include brutefir crossovers in the loop and I'm not yet clear about how to insert the drc filter prior to the brutefir filters. Do I have to convolve the drc and brutefir filters and then brutefir does both crossover and correction at the same time? Or do I have one instance of brutefir doing drc left and right feeding a second instance of brutefir doing 4 channel crossovers?

-Robert

Hide this!Advertise here!