non os for cdp without pcb trace cutting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

desolder the SAA7220 from the board and cut off the pins 15, 16, 18 completely.

Solder an IC socket to the board instead.

There are kind of 24pin sockets that fit into IC sockets, and they are not for ICs but for resistors. So, resistor socket ?

Solder the chip onto that resistor socket and wire pin 1 to pin 18, pin 2 to pin 16 and pin 3 to pin 15.

Plug it into the socket on the board and you're done.

This allows for fast comparison of different sound os - non os.

Just did it to my CD880 and it works.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Bernhard said:
The DAC needs the SAA7220 clock :confused:
Or another clock.

The DAC needs a quality clock anyway so why not implement it ? Try it, you'll like it. As with all cdplayers the clock quality has great influence on end results.

Peter Daniel said:
Sa7220 is needed for digital out. You could try to just disconnect it from PS, but this affects I2S lines and the sound is much worse, when I2s lines are connected to not powered SAA7220 chip

I know that but some won't need the digital out. If one insists on going non os they are better off without SAA7220.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Understood, that's why I use another cdplayer for copying ;)

The transformers are bad quality but I wouldn't want to give up galvanic isolation. I replace them for better types. Some report good results without the transformer but I guess they haven't compared the original one with a good one. In that case no transformer will be better than the original one ;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
That'll be a very expensive cdplayer. But you'll be tha masta in PCB design if you succeed ;)

Give it a go with paralleling as you desperately want to try it. I don't like the sonical results of paralleling despite the possible smaller distortion it'll give ( after a few years of matching 4 chips out of 100 ) :D You could consider making a new wafer for TDA1541A. Just joking, Bernhard.

First try a better clock if you haven't done so already. I am curious what a better clock will show on the analyzer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.