Burning and Playing 24 bit Wave Files - How?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
pburke said:
you need to downsample it to 44kHz/16bit and burn it as redbook. Use a good package like soundforge to do the sample rate conversion at the highest quality setting and you should be fine.

At least that's the easiest solution, as long as you have a decent sound editing program.

Peter
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter, I know I can do this but I don't want to. There must be a way of preserving bit depth on a different format such as DVD and playing back thru' the sound card.

Anyone can enlighten me?

Isn't PC the best source?

fmak,

Why do you want to take the wav files out of your computer to play them? Isn't it best to use your pc as the source? It's easier to build and get good sound from a cheap, quiet, good-looking, networked music pc + external dac than almost any kind of disc player. You can put a custom-format pc anywhere you would put a disc player including your car. And if you're thinking about music in the car then who cares about 24b anyway?

What am I missing?

-Robert

Yeah, the easiest thing will be to keep them as .WAV and use a Data DVD or many many Data CD's.

You can use a lossless compression format such as FLAC to save about half the space (it should work with 24-bit .WAVs).

There SHOULD be a way to make a playlist in your favorite media player, and then setup the AUTORUN.INI file properly so when you instert the disc, windows automatically loads up your media player program and loads the playlist containing your files.

Your other option is to master an actual DVD-Audio disc but I'm not sure what software is available for that, or what it costs.

Gridstop said:
Yeah, the easiest thing will be to keep them as .WAV and use a Data DVD or many many Data CD's.

You can use a lossless compression format such as FLAC to save about half the space (it should work with 24-bit .WAVs).

There SHOULD be a way to make a playlist in your favorite media player, and then setup the AUTORUN.INI file properly so when you instert the disc, windows automatically loads up your media player program and loads the playlist containing your files.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, but I am hoping for references as to how to make a playlist either on Data CD or DVD. Concrete, useful info on digital computer audio is not easy to come by. More often than not, it is assumed that you know what you are trying to learn!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Your other option is to master an actual DVD-Audio disc but I'm not sure what software is available for that, or what it costs.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is expensive; I understand the software is $600!!

I can help you out w/ some details for how to setup FLAC compression, how to burn the discs right, and how to build an appropriate playlist & setup your AUTORUN.INI file. Have to go out for the evening though so I'll put some stuff up later tonight or tomorrow for you, fmak.

Nay PC, Use a Mac.

I currently use (what was at one point anyways) a higher-end sound card, and I have to say it really is not as good as even a mid-range CD player when using the digital outputs. Unfortunately, it seems to send “sound” coming from CDROM and hard drive access through as well as my USB mouse in the form of high-frequency “squeaking”. It really is annoying, and shows up regardless of the source material was recorded on it. The exception is my Power Macintosh G3 (Blue and White). The analog output from it is dead quiet and spot on. To think, I actually paid about as much for the sound card in my PC as I did for the entire Macintosh (about $1,200US), and the Mac sounds 10 times better. Now as to your question, I seem to remember in a Musician’s Friend catalog a while back a sound editing suite that supported recording to SACD and DVD-A formats. I leafed through a couple of catalogs I had lying about, but could not find it again… You might try some professional audio outlet for the appropriate software.

Taking part of this question to another thread

I am currently working on a dac for my pc that will hopefully take it into the realm of great music players. It seems to me the computer is the natural platform to provide the best music players (present and future).

24b resolution wav files that can be produced from 16b cd's are just one reason why pc's are so promising.

I'd really like feedback from experts on why they continue any interest at all in disc players. So, rather than hijack fmak's thread, let's go discuss the REAL question.

mjarve - Please do some reading before posting again on this topic. Many people (including myself) have achieved great digital sound from pc's with very little effort. This forum is no place for mac vs. pc wars.

- Robert

mjarve - Please do some reading before posting again on this topic. Many people (including myself) have achieved great digital sound from pc's with very little effort. This forum is no place for mac vs. pc wars.

Indeed, it is not, and that was not my objective. Rather the point I was trying to make was that a sound card need not be terribly expensive or itself capable of 24bit/ 96 khz 192khz playback (the mistake I made) when integrated sound systems work as well. I used the Power Macintosh G3 as an example because on the used market is just a couple hundred dollars, or about the same price as a full SoundBlaster Audigy setup, and it is what I have that works for me (doing very similar things).

Gridstop said:
fmak, can you reply with:

A) What media player you're thinking of using on your computer?

B) What sound card you have for 24bit (96 khz? 192khz?) playback?

C) What type of CD/DVD burner you have and what burner software you use?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gridstop

Thanks.

A. Currently I prefer to use winCD player old version because there is no unncessary graphics or fancy desktops as in the latest win media player. For DVD Power DVD and Win DVD premium versions. I have Direcect X 8.1b on 98SE although I have XP Pro also. I am flexible though.

B. Terratec EWX 24 96 with no src. Have just bought a used RME Digi 96 PST.

C. Teac CDRW, Toshiba Combo DVD/CDRW using Nero 5.5 or 6. I actually prefer 5.5 for the interface. Flexible too in terms of hardware/software.

Does this help?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.