Philips (Marantz) CD-60 not spinning up

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ever listen to NPR's Car Talk? Click & Clack repair cars over the phone.
Car trouble? Piece of cake.
Only 4 or 5 variables involved (Do you have gasoline? Do your plugs spark? do you have oil pressure?) Easy to answer questions ... even by a "sh-t plumber"
Butv this is s *complex* Digital device.
Not the same by any means.

If a sh-t plumber like me could get the beast spinnin' again, all you service techies out there should be able to fix it in your sleep :D
probably.
* On OUR bench.
* With US checking and measuring, instead of remote control and by somebody who dodges half (at least) suggested tests because HE finds them irrelevant. :rolleyes:
* CHARGING for our time.

And you double dare us? :rolleyes:

The focus coil is the one that drives the lens up and down and so it would be unreasonable to expect to alter the DC voltage on it when its playing a disc. Why ? Because whatever voltage is present for the disc to play is the voltage needed to precisely position the lens at the correct point from the disc surface. Its all locked and under servo control.

The only thing that would be reasonable would be to set the initial voltage (no disc playing) to get the lens in the right ballpark. Does the setting adjust when you try that ?

If that voltage is significantly different between your two players (the voltage when locked and playing a disc) then that might suggest the turntable height is different between the two players. Don't go altering on a whim though.
The Serv. Man. procedure for adj. Focus Offset is:
  • Set the Focus trimmer to mid position with no disc.
  • Play track on disk (concurrently) fine tweaking with DMM to achieve 400mV (+/- 40mV)

When there is no disc, I measure 0mV.
When disc is playing, I measure 134mV. I can't budge it from this value, regardless of trimmer position.

A few days ago, right after I got the CD60 spinning again, I was able to measure (and tweak) the Focus trimmer within a range of 0mV to 200mV. I've already posted on this (post #53 ).
Not sure why I can no longer adjust? IAC, it seems to track just fine.

========== ===========

Shifting gears, I swapped the CDM4/19 with another from a good, working Philips CDP (a CD610). I swapped everything including the flapper. And ...

...bada boom, bada bing ....

NO CHANGE -- THE NOISE/DISTORTION REMAINS!

Problem solved!

Does step one of the procedure work ? That is altering the preset and visually checking the lens moves up or down. No disc in the tray, player in stop mode.

Does that do anything ?

Yes, it moves with the turn of the pot. Not sure about the 400mV fine-tuning adjustment, tho'?

ANYWAY, the noise issue is history. It was problem-solved rather quickly on another electronics forum.

Let's see if you can find it? Google is your friend.

The low-level noise was probably accident-related. And it was TDA1541-related.

Any TDA1541 experts care to guess?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Katy,
Okay, I was right. Not that it matters. This wouldn't have any effect on tracking or reading a disc, but sure would prevent things from working 100%.

For the rest of us, a capacitor was missing in the DEM circuit. How a fall would cause a previously working circuit to act up is beyond me. This acts in the digital part of the circuit for the D/A converter. It is also very poorly documented in the service manuals. I have never run into this problem myself.

-Chris

Conspiracy theory

I still can't believe you ate up all this bandwidth and time of the generous experts here and never mentioned you had DIY perf board circuit mods, hanging by their wires, that took a ride through the fall.

Hey, bellz... I'll let you reply to that:

"Conspiracy theory" ... yeah, that's it. You betcha, toots.

Did you post this pic on this thread? Have quickly scanned all 8-9 pages and don't think you did.

Might have helped us if you had.

P.

Attachments

• .jpg
    .jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 163
Did you post this pic on this thread? Have quickly scanned all 8-9 pages and don't think you did.

Might have helped us if you had.

P.
Those modules were unrelated to the spinning issue. Introducing them into the conversation would've complicated things: introduced wild, pointless tangents. Not that you folks didn't come up with many.
Nota Bene: the guy at the eevblog nailed the noise issue BEFORE that image was posted. See the eevblog thread ;)

IAC, the CD60 experienced multiple issues after it fell. The main one being the subject of this thread.

I think DIYA is project forum, not a troubleshooting forum. So my bad in pursuing the matter here.

You are slagging this place after what you just did to these guys? I still can't quite believe it. I think you might just have won some award on this forum.

Don't think he's slagging off the Forum.

Those modules were unrelated to the spinning issue. Introducing them into the conversation would've complicated things: introduced wild, pointless tangents. Not that you folks didn't come up with many.
Nota Bene: the guy at the eevblog nailed the noise issue BEFORE that image was posted. See the eevblog thread ;)

IAC, the CD60 experienced multiple issues after it fell. The main one being the subject of this thread.

I think DIYA is project forum, not a troubleshooting forum. So my bad in pursuing the matter here.

Still, would've been nice to have ALL the information at the beginning of the thread. And I did keep asking for a recording !! ;-)

P.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi hollowman,
Given information and time, the folks do a pretty credible job of troubleshooting here. But some of us get pretty busy and have limited time to devote to a problem that comes with a minimum of information.

The fault you had would have been easier to fix had it been on my bench rather than an internet conversation. Here you are talking to a bunch of technicians and engineers who designed with the parts you are using. But without pictures and a complete description, how can you expect them to put in a bunch of time for you?

In the end, I actually did point you in the right direction and also told you I would have to see it to do any more than guess. That was your cue to cough up some detail. You didn't. Instead you found more information both on this web site and others - to your credit. But instead of letting us know what you found it became game time.

Most folks are gainfully employed and have to assign their time intelligently. Fixing someone's problem with scant details won't rate very high on anyone's list as the chance of a correct diagnosis is only slight.

Thank the folks who are helpful and try to maintain a realistic picture of what you are asking of others.

-Chris

An update ... and a puzzling anomaly

No repair job is worth its salt w/o some account of the device's long-term reliability.
Over the past few weeks, I've put over 12 hours of use on the CD-60.
All in all: no issues .... as if the accident never happened ...

...except for one anomaly.
Recall the last problem to troubleshot was low-level noise issue. It was related to DEM reclock circuit attached to the TDA1541A's pins 16/17. This was typical DIY project, that has been discussed in various threads, such as this.

That DEM ckt project replaced the stock 470pF cap. I had the Henk variety installed pre-accident. The project ckt is what caused the noise; installing the orig. cap solved the problem.

Here's a mystery:
That Henk DEM 'scopes out fine.
Not only that, I can no longer get other DEM ckts (like tubee) to work with CD-60.
Before accident, both Henk and tubee worked with the CD-60 (and led to improved sonics compared to orig. cap, as intended).
If you look at the Henk and tubee ckts, you'll note they are quite different designs (e.g., Henk requires +6, -6, +5v; tubee requires only +5v).

Like the weird laser power mis-calibration -- caused by accident -- the DEM mystery is spooky!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.