HDMI to analog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My wife just bought a new ultra 4K Blu-ray DVD player. My old Blu-ray DVD player had analog audio output. The new one does not. My Hafler preamp does not have digital input or optical. I use the players as much for CD as for DVD. I see digital to analog converter's online, most less than $15, but I worry about losing sound quality. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

I'm using VGA+audio to HDMI like this ebay item but much cheaper, i think the ebay is overpriced. I connect my old thinkpad X61 to my tv which only has hdmi input.

GPCT 1080p VGA to HDMI AV Audio Video Converter Adapter Cable. | eBay

sound quality? not really care for that cheap price, but at least it is decent, even if you want high quality A/D converter will not exist since big company is not interested on this feature.

So I guess my question is, is there a product out there that will convert digital audio (from HDMI) to RCA L/R while maintaining sound quality, or do I need to return this DVD player and find another? I don't know if there are even any players made these days with analog audio output

I (and Lubbock023 also) am looking for the opposite: cheap HDMI to composite video + stereo audio. That is three RCA plugs: yellow, red, white.

1080P Mini Composite HDMI to RCA Audio Video AV CVBS Adapter Converter For HDTV | eBay

So I guess my question is, is there a product out there that will convert digital audio (from HDMI) to RCA L/R while maintaining sound quality, or do I need to return this DVD player and find another? I don't know if there are even any players made these days with analog audio output

does it have optical or coaxial output? you will have better opportunity on spdif to analog rather than hdmi to analog

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well that's cheap enough! Nice that it does some decoding, too.
If HDMI is the only option, then won't the convertor need a pass thru? How else to get HDMI from the BluRay to the TV? Maybe the TV has SPDIF out and that could be used. It's usually not volume controlled, tho.

I work in pro video, where we are forced to use HDMI for some things. It's pretty well hated in the pro world. Fortunately audio is usually separate and HDCP is turned off, so HDMI just gets treated like DVI.

The ultra 4K DVD/CD player is LG UBK90. HDMI 1 goes from my DIRECTV Genie to my tv for video and cheap audio (tv, Netflix, etc). HDMI 2 from DVD. The player has a separate HDMI audio out for HDMI 2 that I run to my preamp. Well, I did with my previous Blu-ray DVD player that had RCA output. I don't have surround, just two channels to my main speakers. So, all I need is something that will convert my HDMI audio out from the DVD to 2 channel RCA L/R, but again, retaining sound quality is an absolute.

I had a similar problem, except it was my TV that lacked an analog output. I am using a Topping brand DAC (sorry, don't recall the model#) that converts the TV's HDMI output to 2-channel analog for my (also Hafler) preamp. Granted, I only use it for watching cable and Netflix programming, but I am very happy with its sound quality for this application. For watching DVD's my Oppo player has analog audio outputs, so I go direct analog to the preamp, and HDMI for the video to the TV.

The Topping brand seems to offer good build quality and sonic performance for a reasonable price (check Amazon or eBay). I also have one of their DAC/headphone amps that I use for listening to music while at the computer, and the performance is much better that the computer's built-in DAC.

Beware of cheap DAC's. I tried another brand (which wasn't all that cheap, I think I got ripped-off) before I got the Topping. That "cheapo" unit didn't sound very good, and it frequently took a while for it to "wake-up" after the digital signal was applied.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.