Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

HDMI to analog
HDMI to analog
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2018, 10:41 PM   #21
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

HDMI to analog
^ Post above sums it up perfectly. Use the optical out to a good DAC. You have far, far more choice with optical than with HDMI.
Old 15th May 2018, 11:31 PM   #22
stratus46 is offline stratus46  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadut View Post
correct Pano, if no spdif then no other choice rather than replace that old Hafler into newer AVR
I'm cheap and do not want focus on HT yet, hence i bought this small toy

Audio 5.1CH AC3 DTS Digital Sound Decoder Optical SPDIF Coaxial to 6RCA w/Cable | eBay

up to AC3 can be decoded, while newer codec like DTS HD, TrueHD, Atmos is dead silence
I use one of those in my cheapy 5.1 system. It also needed a 6 channel volume control and 6 channel class D amp (TPA3116). The unit you reference had quite a bit of background noise for the switching supply. Changing to a linear 5 Volt supply was a dramatic improvement.

FYI for about $40 you can get the same 6 channel analog output but with HDMI in / out rather than optical.

Old 16th May 2018, 01:22 AM   #23
gadut is offline gadut  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubbock023 View Post
The ultra 4K DVD/CD player is LG UBK90. HDMI 1 goes from my DIRECTV Genie to my tv for video and cheap audio (tv, Netflix, etc). HDMI 2 from DVD. The player has a separate HDMI audio out for HDMI 2 that I run to my preamp. Well, I did with my previous Blu-ray DVD player that had RCA output. I don't have surround, just two channels to my main speakers. So, all I need is something that will convert my HDMI audio out from the DVD to 2 channel RCA L/R, but again, retaining sound quality is an absolute.
decent sound quality sometimes relates to $$$ spend. dont expect too much on a product <$50.
btw seems your LG has optical out then you can plug it into the decoder i mentioned. Or another option which I'm using now, get the analog out from your TV which is usually headphone out then connect it your Hafler. My sony tv still give headphone out, LG does the same, but Samsung new generation already remove it. Watching tv and get decent audio from heaphone out to mauro penasa which powers my 3way floorstand is very satisfaying, forget about soundbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratus46 View Post
I use one of those in my cheapy 5.1 system. It also needed a 6 channel volume control and 6 channel class D amp (TPA3116). The unit you reference had quite a bit of background noise for the switching supply. Changing to a linear 5 Volt supply was a dramatic improvement.

FYI for about $40 you can get the same 6 channel analog output but with HDMI in / out rather than optical.

I bought it to get the experience on multichannel, i never had any AVR yet. my setup was :
- LR thru my main audio chain : dcb1 - class a amps - big OB
- center : class d powers my alpair 10p
- surround : mauro penasa powers 3way floorstand

I admit watching bluray movie ac3 encoded has different experience, but the sound was muffled and compressed if i compared to DTS HD version which i watched on stereo only. I decided not to use it anymore while saving money for proper AVR
Old 16th May 2018, 01:39 PM   #24
Lubbock023 is offline Lubbock023
diyAudio Member

Are there any ultra 4K DVD players on the market with analog audio output?
Old 16th May 2018, 01:54 PM   #25
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Of course: Panasonic DMP-UB900 for example.

Lession learned? Never ever let a woman go buy technical gear! Women just chose by the looks...

Best regards!
Old 16th May 2018, 03:08 PM   #26
Pars is offline Pars  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Also Oppo. I know they are getting out of this but seem to be set up for continued support, so I personally wouldn’t be bothered by that.
Old 28th May 2018, 07:23 AM   #27
Dave is offline Dave  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

HDMI to analog
One of these will get you an SPDIF signal from the HDMI which you can pass to a DAC of your choice.

Audio De-Embedder with 3D Support

Supports up to 192/24

HDMI to analogHide this!Advertise here!