HDMI to analog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
correct Pano, if no spdif then no other choice rather than replace that old Hafler into newer AVR
I'm cheap and do not want focus on HT yet, hence i bought this small toy

Audio 5.1CH AC3 DTS Digital Sound Decoder Optical SPDIF Coaxial to 6RCA w/Cable | eBay

up to AC3 can be decoded, while newer codec like DTS HD, TrueHD, Atmos is dead silence :D

I use one of those in my cheapy 5.1 system. It also needed a 6 channel volume control and 6 channel class D amp (TPA3116). The unit you reference had quite a bit of background noise for the switching supply. Changing to a linear 5 Volt supply was a dramatic improvement.

FYI for about $40 you can get the same 6 channel analog output but with HDMI in / out rather than optical.

The ultra 4K DVD/CD player is LG UBK90. HDMI 1 goes from my DIRECTV Genie to my tv for video and cheap audio (tv, Netflix, etc). HDMI 2 from DVD. The player has a separate HDMI audio out for HDMI 2 that I run to my preamp. Well, I did with my previous Blu-ray DVD player that had RCA output. I don't have surround, just two channels to my main speakers. So, all I need is something that will convert my HDMI audio out from the DVD to 2 channel RCA L/R, but again, retaining sound quality is an absolute.
decent sound quality sometimes relates to $$$ spend. dont expect too much on a product <$50.
btw seems your LG has optical out then you can plug it into the decoder i mentioned. Or another option which I'm using now, get the analog out from your TV which is usually headphone out then connect it your Hafler. My sony tv still give headphone out, LG does the same, but Samsung new generation already remove it. Watching tv and get decent audio from heaphone out to mauro penasa which powers my 3way floorstand is very satisfaying, forget about soundbar :)

I use one of those in my cheapy 5.1 system. It also needed a 6 channel volume control and 6 channel class D amp (TPA3116). The unit you reference had quite a bit of background noise for the switching supply. Changing to a linear 5 Volt supply was a dramatic improvement.

FYI for about $40 you can get the same 6 channel analog output but with HDMI in / out rather than optical.

I bought it to get the experience on multichannel, i never had any AVR yet. my setup was :
- LR thru my main audio chain : dcb1 - class a amps - big OB
- center : class d powers my alpair 10p
- surround : mauro penasa powers 3way floorstand

I admit watching bluray movie ac3 encoded has different experience, but the sound was muffled and compressed if i compared to DTS HD version which i watched on stereo only. I decided not to use it anymore while saving money for proper AVR :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.