HDMI Audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have a Bluray player with HDMI cable connected to my pre-amp. It works and I have no complaints.

I had a Dell Optiplex 755, Win10 with DVI video out directly to the TV ans ASUS Xonor audio card with optical out to the pre-amp. Using FOOBar 2k CD's sounded better playing on the PC than the bluray player and even better ripped to the HD and streamed back.

Well the PC finally died.

I replaced it with a Optiplex 990 with i5 proc, 16GB ram and a 256GB SSD drive running Win10Pro. I use a displayport to HDMI adapter to put video directly in the TV again.

However the old XONOR sound card was not transferable.

So the question is ( I know finally right?) :

Do I buy another ASUS Xonor sound card that does work in this PC or do I buy an HDMI card and try to use it for video AND audio to the pre-amp?

Does an HDMI card in a PC transfer sound? Would that even work?

Thank you in advance,

Troy

Last edited:
"However the old XONOR sound card was not transferable"

Does this help? -> No digital audio output with Asus Xonar DG
I apologize if I wasn't clear. The ASUS Xonor sound card won't transfer due to a form factor issue. The new pc uses a different connector than the older one.

They make a "newer" sound card that uses the right connector and I have no problem with getting it. And that is the safe bet.

But if I could get an HDMI card that would do audio and video it would be less cables and "possibly" higher sampling rates?

The old setup worked well so I should just play it safe with this one too. I will order the newer Xonor card this week.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.