CD Player vs. CD Transport using CD-PRO2 module - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2004, 04:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default CD Player vs. CD Transport using CD-PRO2 module

As I am studying the CD-PRO2 module kit, like the one built by Peter Daniel and Brian Bell, I am wondering:

What's fundermental advantages that CD transport provides that is lacking in regular CD player, or even cheaper DVD player? as the price is 10 times more....

I already have the Sony SACD player with my Audio Alchemy DTI Pro 32 (jitter reduction) and Perpetual P3A DAC, will CD-PRO2 CD Transport (DIY kit) make my CD sounds even significantly better?

Thomas

(DIY is fun, but to spend lots of money and the sound is still the same isn't fun at all....)
Old 13th April 2004, 12:46 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
It all depends on implementation, PS and chassis.

For instance, my Marantz CD-94 and cheap Dynaco player sounded better today than my copper frame CD-Pro transport. I was quite surprised by that

I'm taking power to the display and control logic from 5V digital supply to the transport, so maybe this affect the sound somehow? But just using CD-Pro as a mechanism, doesn't automatically guarantee the perfect sound

I'm also having doubts if copper is actually good choice for the transport frame. It seemed to be overdamped and doesn't produce enough air and space.
Old 13th April 2004, 06:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

CD Pro 2's qualities are exxagerated. A slightly modified older cdplayer with swingarm can be better and is definitely cheaper. Also the newer Sony ( DVD ) mechanics are more interesting performancewise.

I've heard them some times now, even in extreme setups but a standard cdplayer ( that was cheaper than just the CD Pro 2 ) outperformed it.

I don't know what it is with CD Pro 2 and its popularity !?! It is nothing to write home about really and the price is not attractive either to say the least. Probably the "Pro" in its name does it all

Also a pcb for power supply is not available. If one persists on DIYing a cdplayer it maybe makes some sense to put mucho $ in it ( otherwise I really don't see the point in going through all that hassle while a reasonably simple ready made cdplayer can do better ).

Quote:
I'm also having doubts if copper is actually good choice for the transport frame. It seemed to be overdamped and doesn't produce enough air and space.
I think you overemphasise the choice of material against the quality of that particular mechanics Peter. It should be worth the chassis you made ( which I doubt obviously ).
Old 13th April 2004, 06:50 PM   #4
Banned

jean paul, the power supply is easy to make without PCB. Give me a CDM 4 or other swingarm with I2S output and DSA control, and i will use that instead.

Else i belive sound is not make in the transport but in and behind the DAC. If not so there is something wrong.

In fact the swingarm makes less mechanical noise than the CD PRO2.
Old 13th April 2004, 08:33 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by till
Else i belive sound is not make in the transport but in and behind the DAC. If not so there is something wrong.
And I believe that there is something wrong with your believe system

Otherwise everybody would be using cheap portables for transports.

Even both of my CD-Pro's sound differently. Transport is as important as the DAC. That's what I believe.
Old 13th April 2004, 08:55 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
And I believe that there is something wrong with your believe system
be carefull with statements like that, some idiots started war with statements like that.

a) psychology

b) one of both is wrong or much older than the other.

In your case i suspect a) is more likely: Your conclusions about something sound *** (set a audiophile adjective here) come very fast and very confident, but without reasonable rationals. They fall down to earth like axioms.

for b)
the older the higher BLER. The transport will not make sound, but could deliver suboptimal information because it reads more errors it does not correct optimal because they are to much. But influence of the CD quality (clean and new vs. dirty and old surface) will be higher than influence of transport.

In generall BLER will be very good with CD PRO2 compared to other transports.

He http://www.angelfire.com/music4/audio_visions/know.html says:

Quote:
A well-designed DAC should not depend on its source of data for the end result, in any way.
good point.

There may be something wrong with your belive system, or should i say autosuggestion system.
Old 13th April 2004, 09:09 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:

be carefull with statements like that, some idiots started war with statements like that.

By now you should be able to recognize the difference between a statement and expressing of personal opinion. Are you suggesting that I'm an idiot too?

You should be more careful with phrasing your posts.
Old 13th April 2004, 09:13 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
You should be more careful with phrasing your posts.
i hope this is a personal opinion.

did you ever reflect if this would count for you too?

and please remark, it was you who pulled this thread of topic. No more CD transport but audio religion. Please clean up. moderator.
Old 13th April 2004, 09:18 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
And I believe you pulled it in a different direction, when you started expressing your believes.

The person who started the thread was specifically asking about my transport, and I gave him my answer.

He didn't ask what you believe in.
Old 13th April 2004, 09:26 PM   #10
Banned

all the information you post is not any better than a belive. Your belive.

Since when its YOUR transport? I use mine since middle of 2002.

I added about one third of the posting#4 this "personal believe" you seem not to tolerate. (like i would call LED influences CD sound a lie)

You start a religios flamewar.

Hide this!Advertise here!