Ghetto Philips CD471, 1541 inside, mods ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Just thought i'd share my new cd player with everyone.
I got it cheap (£17 inc deleivery), its a Philips 471.

I already have one and bought this for spares and possibly to test some mods on without breaking my better one. Also possibly to steal parts to make a 1541 dac.

Anyway when i put a cd in it sounded pretty good, cdr's wouldnt play. And what a noise from the spindle!!!

Cd ejected no scratches so opened it up.
There was a spring missing from the clamp mechanism.

A rubber band job has fixed it, I also added some more bands to help push the clamp down a little tighter. Blue band is where the spring was. others pull the mechanism together - it seems to calm some vibrations noises. Dont put too many on or the mechanism cant come up when u want eject.

Looking at the lense it was misty! Suprised it played anything! So i put a cleaner disc through it and it came up great, now plays recordables :smash:
(I love smash Icons!) :smash:

It now sounds better than my other 471, not sure if its the clamping force stopping virbation ? a slightly better DAC chip (maybe a different year or something) OR maybe its the extra dust - check it out :eek:

Anyway though i'd post it in case some other owners benefit .

great forum!

OH and any great mods ?!?

Regards.

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG

DSCF0005.JPG

Hmmm,

I have no idea!!!

I'll have a look when I get home - maybe Philips made a slightly different version, that may explain why I thought that there was a sound difference between this and my first one.

It would nice to think that my first cd player Xmas 1989 A Philips 471 would be my last eh ? :grouphug:

i'll get back to you if I can find out what it is or not, maybe its a mod i don't know - would explain why the spring was missing maybe someone messing about.

:smash: :smash: :smash:

Well I had a look

If you look in the image below in the big yellow box there is a link, this link isnt present and two pins go from the main board to the daughter board(what ever it is).
I also suspect the same where the green box is but i cant see that as clearly.

The daughter also has a four wire connector on the end, its grey in the middle big, located top right of the draw opening motor.
Two wires go to the board clearly, perhaps power, another two go thru the hole to the back of the board, ive highlited the hold in yellow.

I cant see where the wires go to behind the board.

Im guessing this is a mod but its hard to tell, it might be a fix to solve a problem that occurred but this seems strange.
There looks like there are 3 IC's of some sort on this board, just because there 3 arrays of pins.

Anyway here's the pics.
Anyone want to guess what i was listening too, and it was spinning! and it sounds superb!

marked471.jpg

boardlocation.JPG

boardcloseup.JPG

Anyone have any idea whats going on here ? :xeye:

Many Thanks,

Brian:smash:

On the top right it is just a number, not a word to give any clue - to me anyway.
I'd have to desolder the board to get a look at the component side :bawling: hope that will be ok! im not great at desoldering!

But I guess I could take it into work perhaps and get the guys to do it.

I'll be in touch,

Thanks,
Brian.

Right then,

I have desoldered it, flipped it over and taken some closeups.
The chips appear to be AND and OR logic gates, I think the middle one had some sort of time in it.
Seems to be boring to me and nothing to do with sound - I had hoped it was remote mod :whazzat: doesnt seem like it :confused:

Ive marked up where it connects to the main board, other then the four wires it has too.

Anyone have a schematic ?

Thanks for all your help, Brian :smash:

DaughterCloseUp.JPG

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.