Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

I do not understand it - did Sony really put two Dacs in series for 1-Bit?
I do not understand it - did Sony really put two Dacs in series for 1-Bit?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2018, 09:49 AM   #31
Extreme_Boky is offline Extreme_Boky
diyAudio Member

CXA8042 is not a DAC. It is a “summing” IC of an analogue nature & a filter to get maximum dynamic range and keep distortions to an absolute minimum. Those 2 X right {and [2 X left]} differential input signals should also make those CXA8042 IC’s quite immune to the power supply rail imperfections… in theory. That being said, I really like what LC audio proposed, but ONLY the resistor summing part... I do not like their ZAP filters at all.

In fact, I was going to suggest the same thing R1 + R2 (-) and R1 + R2 (+), fed to a simple differential to single-end stage (if you really need to have RCA instead of XLR at the output)…. but then you posted the LC Audio suggestion, so I refrained from repeating the same.

You really need to check what the oscilloscope says at CXD2562Q pins 16 and 18. You could try this even with your 15Mhz scope… or get a good one and start exploring….

Check this thread as well: The Best DAC is no DAC and try to get your head around it; this will help you understand what Sony did with CXD / CXA IC pair.
Old 13th March 2018, 01:05 PM   #32
Shinja is offline Shinja  Japan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbrw View Post
Salar, did you see a patent and the pictures in this link? CXA8042 is mainly comprised of two long tail pair circuit, which can be referred current mode logic from digital circuit perspective.
In a 1bit system, the boundary of digital and analog is vague, but the input to output of CXA8042 is saturative, so analogous characteristics does not appear from input to output.Which is digital discrete value input characteristics I think. (less saturative than typical logic ICs but similar to 74HCU04 4049U unbuffered series, 1 stage amplifiers.)
In a 1bit system, you can use 74 logics as a DAC ,as some people and Signalyst did. Thus the boundary is vague.

I do not understand it - did Sony really put two Dacs in series for 1-Bit?Hide this!Advertise here!