Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Android Oreo & APTX-HD (CSR8675)
Android Oreo & APTX-HD (CSR8675)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2018, 01:28 AM   #1
Nanoloop is offline Nanoloop  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Default Android Oreo & APTX-HD (CSR8675)

Hi all,

My Asus smartphone got an update to Oreo so now I have some control over Bluetooth audio, and APTX-HD works too. Good news? Not so. Actually, Oreo created some problems that necessitated the control so I thought I'd share the basic and limited solutions. I wouldn't recommend the CSR8675 - seems it has glitches that create resampling and/or clock errors, heard as a faint crackle. It may be fixed in firmware later but for now, it sucks. However, DACs that use their own clock or internal PLL like ES9023, PCM5102 etc, seem fine. They seem fine.

Oreo will work with an APTX-HD receiver, specifically the CSR8675, and does 48kHz 24bit - in fact it defaults to this and seems to resample to this from, say 44.1/16. This then becomes a second problem - using Oreo with an APTX receiver such as CSR8670, CSR64215, CSR8645, which want 44.1, now creates MASSIVE crackle because the phone still defaults to 48kHz it seems. It was fine on Android Nougat.

The volume also refuses to go down until it drops like a stone. It is the latest must have feature I guess - for people having loud parties and needing an excuse? "Look officer, I press down but it just goes up again".

After more investigation, Oreo bluetooth issues are apparently a common problem, and websites are offering fixes... that don't, e.g. wait for the next OTA update.

Another big issue is that APTX-HD supports a higher data rate so the blummin thing is more prone to dropouts, even with a huge 60cm antenna. That size of antennae gives me full strength WiFi reception in the garden, and I don't have a garden. It's my neighbour's! So that's another big issue - dropouts causing gaps in sound mean the devices must be close, so really, why not use a cable. Or something not portable like the HiFi with a remote. APTX has worked really well so I can walk between rooms with my phone in my pocket and the music keeps playing with no issues. With APTX-HD, it has to be close - 1 or 2 metres, and in line of sight. Walk through the line of sight gap and dropouts break the music up. Minor dropouts are "fixed" so they are inaudible, according to CSR. I think that's not the case in real use.

So, avoid Oreo or (?) but if you can't and want to continue to use APT-X with one of the previous receivers, here's how to mitigate the pesky Oreo crackle and volume issues. I doubt it has fixed the underlying problems. Anyway, you need to have activated "developer options" to do this.

To enable developer options:

>Settings>System> About phone, then scroll down and rapidly tap Build number 7 or more times.
Return to the previous screen and turn on Developer options near the bottom.

Then to fix the volume/crackle issues:

Volume won't change - in Settings > System > Developer Options ...click the slider to turn on "Disable absolute volume".

Crackle - in Settings > System > Developer Options click on:
- Audio Sample rate and select 44.1kHz (assuming this is correct for the tracks) - the option "use system selection (default)" seems to cause errors.

And that's it. And it has to be done every time because the default won't change.

Curiously, the menu choices include 88.2kHz and 96kHz too. Since they aren't supported by the device, I guess this is Oreo future-proofing. Personally, I think it would be better if they now-proofed it so it just works.

There are other developer options related to Bluetooth audio but the only one that seems to have an obvious effect is "Bluetooth Audio LDAC Codec: Playback Quality". LDAC is, I believe, Sony's baby (whereas APTX is CSRs) and is new to Android with Oreo. Since my receivers are CSR, they choose APTX and yet this LDAC setting does seem to affect the sound, in particular, setting it to "Optimised for Audio Quality 990kbps/909kbps)" seems to increase the risk of dropouts.

Anyway, hope this helps.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Nanoloop; 25th February 2018 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Update info after more investigation
Old 27th June 2018, 07:43 AM   #2
muvoc is offline muvoc
diyAudio Member

Hi mate,
considering the above problem, You can look up to this.

google play services has been stopped

you can also download koplayer

I hope this will help you for you.

Regards,
mavac
Old 29th June 2018, 02:16 AM   #3
Nanoloop is offline Nanoloop  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

The issue is the settings that are agreed between devices when pairing. It is not affected by the software music player or Google's services. I have already posted a solution for others.

Android Oreo & APTX-HD (CSR8675)Hide this!Advertise here!