CD Laser actually defect?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My Arcam CD36 kept connected to mains but power switch off for a year.
I switched it on yesterday and error no disk. Tried a couple of CDs always got no disk error. Cleaned lasers lens. No success. Laser unit makes 3 attempts to focus then gives up. Checked whether a cellphone camera is sensitive to infrared emission of another laser diode and it is. But the CD36 laser stays dark. Now i wonder: a semiconductor can only die from crystal defect. Neither a laser diode nor a LED will die suddenly but gently will become darker. Except overvoltage or overheat. There is no standby power supply in the Arcam CD36 feeding the laser. My schematic does not show the connection from supply for Laser thus i cannot check if there is a supply voltage which should be 3.6 Volts. It is a foil connector. What could i do?

Arcam cd36 uses the KSS-213CL laser which is very cheap and readily obtainable.
It is also very easy to fit.

Andy
It seems the original KSS-213CL laser unit is only available in UK all other offers are made in China....
I can do everything but not well...thus i don't have the slightest idea how to get the unit out and the new one in. Any kind of instruction available?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.