Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Can anyone recommend a cheap good cdrw recorder
Can anyone recommend a cheap good cdrw recorder
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2018, 01:28 PM   #1
thyristor44 is offline thyristor44
diyAudio Member

Default Can anyone recommend a cheap good cdrw recorder

Hello
I have given up trying to record a digital stream on my laptop and am thinking about a cdrw recorder. Has anyone any experience of using one as I thought of recording from the spdif out from my dac onto cdrw then read it with eac and transfer it to hdd.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
thyristor44
Old 1st February 2018, 01:41 PM   #2
Keruskerfuerst is offline Keruskerfuerst  Germany
diyAudio Member

Actually, CD-RW devices are not more to buy.
DVD-RW drives can be bought.

Last edited by Keruskerfuerst; 1st February 2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 1st February 2018, 01:55 PM   #3
lcsaszar is offline lcsaszar  Hungary
diyAudio Member

HDD - PC - SPDIF - USB - DAC - spdif out from my dac onto cdrw then read it with eac and transfer it to hdd

or

CDA - CD player - DAC - spdif out from my dac onto cdrw
Old 1st February 2018, 05:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcsaszar View Post
HDD - PC - SPDIF - USB - DAC - spdif out from my dac onto cdrw then read it with eac and transfer it to hdd

or

CDA - CD player - DAC - spdif out from my dac onto cdrw
At the moment I stream either from a cambridge audio np30, say on linn classical, or the laptop on spotify or youtube. Both into an m-dac which has a spare optical out If I got a cdrw like a teac cdrw890 recorder that only records audio cds, I think, I could transfer them to my hard drive with eac.
Long way round but digital recording is too complex. I have borrowed a mini disc recorder, Its not too brilliant but neither is the quality from the internet.
Old 1st February 2018, 05:20 PM   #5
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

If you are streaming why record? I used to burn discs from the library years ago and also from satellite receiver, since I've been streaming I haven't recorded anything, I buy the odd disc of stuff I particularly like for the sake of quality
Old 1st February 2018, 05:43 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
If you are streaming why record? I used to burn discs from the library years ago and also from satellite receiver, since I've been streaming I haven't recorded anything, I buy the odd disc of stuff I particularly like for the sake of quality
The bbc sometimes have a concert I would like to keep and they are limited to 28 days. I do buy an occasional cd but most is on flac on daphile server for ease.
Old 1st February 2018, 05:48 PM   #7
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Good point, I used to record off radio 3 and some of the Composer of the Week, I have the one about Scott Joplin
Old 1st February 2018, 05:54 PM   #8
percival007 is offline percival007  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyristor44 View Post
The bbc sometimes have a concert I would like to keep and they are limited to 28 days.
Which/What Hi-Fi published the URL's of some of the BBC Radio Streams a while ago.
These can be put in JRiver (as an example) and the Stream either Played or Recorded, apparently.
I have yet to get it to work myself though!
The last time I tried, a File of just 216 bits was created which obviously doesn't playback !!

If I sort it I'll post back how.
And if I can find those URL's I'll post those too.

P.
Old 1st February 2018, 07:18 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by percival007 View Post
Which/What Hi-Fi published the URL's of some of the BBC Radio Streams a while ago.
These can be put in JRiver (as an example) and the Stream either Played or Recorded, apparently.
I have yet to get it to work myself though!
The last time I tried, a File of just 216 bits was created which obviously doesn't playback !!

If I sort it I'll post back how.
And if I can find those URL's I'll post those too.

P.
Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 11:12 AM   #10
lcsaszar is offline lcsaszar  Hungary
diyAudio Member

What you need is an USB soundcard with SPDIF (or Toslink) input and can do PCM capture. Somethink like this:

External USB Sound Card Channel 5.1 7.1 Optical Audio Card Adapter Notebook PC

Can anyone recommend a cheap good cdrw recorderHide this!Advertise here!