Fixing Meridian CD player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My Meridian 508.24 needs a new laser pickup, but the connector on the servo board that would connect to it is broken. I was told it is unobtanium. Does anyone have any idea where I could source this? Please see attached picture. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_5295.jpg
    IMG_5295.jpg
    650.4 KB · Views: 206
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi russc,
Those cables were part of a small flexible "circuit board" that the laser diode, monitor diode and coils attached directly to. Some would break in normal service and none were ever made available as spares from Philips or any company that used those transports. So if the cable cracked - dead transport.

A picture at a different angle would show this.

-Chris

Ah! so it's the flexible cable that is broken.
I didn't get this from post 1.
Can it not be replaced by a lightweight ribbon cable?
or can it be stripped to bare copper and soldered across.
The joint area then being reinforced by gluing to a piece of plasticard?
Or the end remade by shortening & stripping to bare copper if the crack is close to one end?
Of course, for a tenner you can buy laser cw flexi-cable from Ebay.
New Laser Lens for Meridian CD Player 507.24 - 508.24 - 588 UK | eBay
Even I would not bodge for that price.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Replacing the entire head assy would be the way to go. Often service people can get tunnel vision if they know they need one part. Head assemblies used to be very, very expensive. That's why these things aren't thought of. Past experience.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.