Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Wadia WT-2000 Transport
Wadia WT-2000 Transport
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2018, 04:33 PM   #11
Malefoda is offline Malefoda  France
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Malefoda
This is the one.
Looks good but hard to say, if you feel it's loose enough to be doubtful it's cheap enough to replace. Beware of cheapest belts kit on eBay, William Thakker (spelling?) is a trusty supplier.
BTW, maybe you can look through the tiny holes on top platter that the CD is firmly pressed and show no gap at all. And some speed changes (from first tracks to last ones) will tell you through the holes if the CD slipped a bit or not.
Worth doing the whole belt changes, maybe after the laser health is known... like Mooly said, if you have a DMM you should check that first, quite easy and free. Got one? A warning here, a short of the resistor to test and you do fry your laser diode (I paid the price once...).

Last edited by Malefoda; 3rd January 2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old 3rd January 2018, 05:45 PM   #12
RobertS61 is offline RobertS61  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefoda View Post
This is the one.
Looks good but hard to say, if you feel it's loose enough to be doubtful it's cheap enough to replace. Beware of cheapest belts kit on eBay, William Thakker (spelling?) is a trusty supplier.
BTW, maybe you can look through the tiny holes on top platter that the CD is firmly pressed and show no gap at all. And some speed changes (from first tracks to last ones) will tell you through the holes if the CD slipped a bit or not.
Worth doing the whole belt changes, maybe after the laser health is known... like Mooly said, if you have a DMM you should check that first, quite easy and free. Got one? A warning here, a short of the resistor to test and you do fry your laser diode (I paid the price once...).
Yes I have a MM but have no glue which resistor I should measure and what the value would be.

Thanks for the advice for the platter. I will replace the belt anyway.
Old 3rd January 2018, 06:47 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

On the Tascam CD-701 service manual you find it page 6 section 1.2. It's R401, 22R, seems the one under the laser. Better use such: 1 Pair Small Test Hook Clip to Banana Plug for Multimeter Test Lead Cable GM | eBay but installed and removed with DMM on mV when power is off.
Elektrotanya.com website has the service manual. Hope it's OK to link it Mooly?!
Old 3rd January 2018, 07:22 PM   #14
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Wadia WT-2000 Transport
Should be OK Its on Hifi Engine as well:

Tascam CD-701 - Manual - Compact Disc Player - HiFi Engine
Old 3rd January 2018, 10:19 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Great help!

Had downloaded the service-manual from the Teac P2S because that's the transport that resembles my Wadia 2000s the most but there's nothing in that manual about how to check the health of the laserdiode.
I will perform that measurement myself tomorrow (it's now 00:18 over here) and let you know.
Thanks again!
This is the resistor I think:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...1&d=1515022664
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resistor R401.jpg (257.7 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by RobertS61; 3rd January 2018 at 10:37 PM. Reason: adding picture
Old 4th January 2018, 07:31 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Can I measure the voltagedrop over R401 with the VDRS platter removed?
Otherwise it's almost impossible to maintain the testhook clips onto the leads of that resistor.
Old 4th January 2018, 07:34 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Nop, should be playing as normal. With the grip clip I linked you may be able to let the wires out of the way under the platter, nicely fitted with the player off. Or do it ghetto, solder tiny wires on the resistor for remote access... well isolated from each other, I know I'm annoying with that but a short and zap, heaven of the laser diodes.
Old 4th January 2018, 07:48 AM   #18
diyAudio Moderator

Wadia WT-2000 Transport
Wires and tagging to the resistor is probably the best option. Also connect them to the meter first, before testing.
Old 4th January 2018, 08:51 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Just ordered a good set of MM measurement rods and pins with the flexible leads with miniature clips
I won't take any risk after you stipulated to me chance of frying the laserdiode when shorting the resistor.
Old 4th January 2018, 08:56 AM   #20
diyAudio Moderator

Wadia WT-2000 Transport
Better safe than sorry

You can also get an accurate reading (its the same current value) during the couple of seconds the lens performs the focus search operation. So that can be done with no disc inserted (unless the Wadia detects presence of a disc by other means and inhibits focus search with no disc in the tray)

Wadia WT-2000 TransportHide this!Advertise here!