Wadia WT-2000 Transport

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Better safe than sorry :)

You can also get an accurate reading (its the same current value) during the couple of seconds the lens performs the focus search operation. So that can be done with no disc inserted (unless the Wadia detects presence of a disc by other means and inhibits focus search with no disc in the tray)

Yes I thought also but I won't take any risks and will lead the leads through the hole (opening for holding the CD on the edge with your thumb when inserting it) in the left frontside of the disctray.
I think there's room enough to perform the measurement.

Sounds good and safe :)
Maybe add a bit of playing time before note the mV value, it rises a bit in the first dozen of minutes. As for Iop, sometimes it is said 10% more current, sometimes 10mA. The 10% max is always working Ok on the players I had, but the KSS-151A at 10mA were already too far. Just my xp, Ymmv.

That's what's specified on the service manual from the Tascam CD-701 as you so kindly directed me to.
I've seen laserdiodes (304 6FR) for sale on Ebay for just a couple of USD/EUR.
Is that a alternative compared to the whole replacement of the Laserunit when the laserdiode itself is only gone?
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=654588&stc=1&d=1515069200

Attachments

• laserdiode for KSS151a.jpg
    laserdiode for KSS151a.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 125
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
As a generalisation... although the laser diode is simply glued into the pickup (and easily removable given a quick twist with pliers), the optics of the pickup are aligned around it. The lens carrier plate has tiny screws to set the axis so that the beam intercepts the lens correctly. Some optical pickups also use a 'diffraction grating' internally to generate separate 'side beams' used for tracking. I'm not sure how the laser diode position interacts with that and whether its a concern during assembly.

I would never say never... and it would be interesting to try... but you need a donor pickup to sacrifice and suitable test gear.

As a generalisation... although the laser diode is simply glued into the pickup (and easily removable given a quick twist with pliers), the optics of the pickup are aligned around it. The lens carrier plate has tiny screws to set the axis so that the beam intercepts the lens correctly. Some optical pickups also use a 'diffraction grating' internally to generate separate 'side beams' used for tracking. I'm not sure how the laser diode position interacts with that and whether its a concern during assembly.

I would never say never... and it would be interesting to try... but you need a donor pickup to sacrifice and suitable test gear.
Okay, clear no diy job!

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It depends how keen the diy'er is :D As I say, 'never say never'.

You would only know by trying but you would need at the minimum as oscilloscope to look at the signal (should you be lucky enough to get it to spin up at all), and from there to try and optimise the levels.

Hi Mooly & Malefoda,

Today my ordered glide bearing oil arrived (BlackReel) and after I cleaned the rod where the KSS151a laserunits glides along with IPA (isopropanol) and thereafter I applied a light film of the oil, the Wadia played already three CD's without a hick-up.
I wish to thank you for your support in this matter and the valuable knowledge that you shared with me and maybe others now and in the future.
The measurement of the laserdiode mA (voltagedrop over R401) was to complex for me. Even with the new minigrip leads I saw no possibility to perform that operation without damaging the mechanism.
In the future I will be keen of all the possibilities you've mentioned in this regard and when the lubrication isn't enough anymore I still have a set of belts, and the service-manual of the Tascam CD-701 which is very much alike my WT-2000.
Thanks again,

Robert

Time for music!
Thanks!

I'm so glad with your support in this matter.
When it sings (my Wadia transport) it sings beautifully.
If you're into VDRS transports I can really recommend this Wadia WT-2000 transport.
I find this transport even when it is 24 years old still better then my streaming Flacs. Now that I've seen in more detail the delicate mechanism that is needed to retrieve the data from the disc I'm even more impressed that it works it all.
Happy listening too and a great 2018.

BlackReel is not a brand but the name of the ebay shop:

Sinterlager OL glide bearing oel fur Bandmaschine Tape Deck Tape Recorder | eBay

Most likely the oil is Klüber Isoflex PDP65.

Great information!
Probably it's cheaper than to find the source of this oil yourself.

My transport plays now one CD after another so in my case this oil worked out very well but the other contributions from Mooly & Malefoda are valuable to keep these machines running especially when the laserunits are not produced anymore and there are so many CD's still in peoples inventory.
I'm curious if the CD in time format makes a come-back like vinyl did or is digital digital?

Probably it's cheaper than to find the source of this oil yourself.
Yes and no. You can buy it from Klüber (not sure if you can buy it as a private person from them - most likely not) and one litre is approx. 400€. That's not exactly cheap, but cheaper than the 1000…2000 €/litre for all those small bottles on ebay. On the other hand all you usually need is a few drops instead of a full litre …

Yes and no. You can buy it from Klüber (not sure if you can buy it as a private person from them - most likely not) and one litre is approx. 400€. That's not exactly cheap, but cheaper than the 1000…2000 €/litre for all those small bottles on ebay. On the other hand all you usually need is a few drops instead of a full litre …

You're right there and yes nobody needs a liter in a lifetime only people that sell it in small quantities on a selling website.:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.