Possible to add digital output to my old Sony CDP-C50 CD player?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to add digital output to my CDP-C50! I have an extra identical test player to rip into, so no worries about risking screwing up my player. I know I could buy a newer CD, and I probably will, but this is just for fun and to keep the old player going and more interesting.

I'll add whatever is easier, digital TOSLINK output or digital coax output.

Does anyone know how I could find out which CD player was identical to my CDP-C50 except it had a digital output? I could have sworn it was the CDP-C5F but I guess not? It isn't the CDP-C50M or C40. My Sony is from 1988 or 1989 and it is the CDP-C50. There was another model almost identical to mine in every way except for the fact that it had a digital output. I'd like to know more about it. One day if I found one I'd almost like to see if I could mod my player with the digital output purely for fun. I imagine I could mod it with a generic digital output with parts from somewhere anyways?

I just happen to have a second CDP-C50 that I bought which is in less than perfect shape. Its transport clamp seems iffy and there's a button missing and no remote. I bought it 6 months ago for $10 and was going to rip into it as a project test. I can still do it. I know I could get a newer CD player, and I bet I will, but I could always use a second CD player and I'm curious how long this CDP-C50 will last. It plays 99% perfect.

Thanx for any ideas :)

thanx

:)

Add Sony C27 & C350Z to the list of older Sony's that would get digital outputs if some guidance could be obtained.
I'm in the process of building my first external DAC and would like to be able to try various cdp's with it. Those are a couple I have on hand, and wouldn't mind experimenting on.

Moo-ha-ha-ha! Igor, plug in the soldering iron!

If there is a brother/sister model with fancier features like digital output, there's a reasonable chance that Sony just left some blank locations on the circuit boards and omitted some holes in the back panel. I've got a 1990's Sony changer here like that, which is waiting for me to test the several Toslink transmitters I've gleaned from abandoned CD and DVD players I've found while mountain biking.

What chip lurks inside? Some of the Sony chips have SPDIF output (and output enable) pins, some don't. If the answer is "don't", you may be able to feed signals to an S/PDIF transmitter chip like the DIT4096. (Part number usually begins with CXD..., as in CXD1125, CXD1130, CXD1167, CXD2500.) It may be possible to swap a non-S/PDIF chip for one that supports SPDIF.

dangus said:
If there is a brother/sister model with fancier features like digital output, there's a reasonable chance that Sony just left some blank locations on the circuit boards and omitted some holes in the back panel. I've got a 1990's Sony changer here like that, which is waiting for me to test the several Toslink transmitters I've gleaned from abandoned CD and DVD players I've found while mountain biking.

You find tossed out consumer electronics while mountain biking? Who'd a thunk such a thing?

dangus said:
What chip lurks inside? Some of the Sony chips have SPDIF output (and output enable) pins, some don't. If the answer is "don't", you may be able to feed signals to an S/PDIF transmitter chip like the DIT4096. (Part number usually begins with CXD..., as in CXD1125, CXD1130, CXD1167, CXD2500.) It may be possible to swap a non-S/PDIF chip for one that supports SPDIF.

Opened up my possible subject cdp's. The only chip #s I got any leads on were in the CDP-C27 and were found where else but DIY Audio. It was stated that pin 60 on the CXD2500 (mine adds the suffix BQ) was a digital out, but no further guidance was given. Is that enough info for you to point me on down the road to adding an RCA digital out?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.