Sony UHP-H1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2015
Paid Member
It's best to avoid autotransformers.
I use the RS Stock No. 671-9101 for my small AA5 radios and it works fine. 126V without load, 110V fully loaded, 5W iron loss. 9W copper loss at full output. The one you found is the exact same thing but with single 230V primary winding.

Recently, when in search for a replacement for both the CD and the DVD players, I also had a glance on this unit which appears to be a bargain. But eventually I opted for the Panasonic DMP-UB900 that offers some more features and an even better analog audio section - for more than twice the price, though. And it is no Sony :).
But it is worth it's money.
Best regards!

I am sure you have paid too much. 90% comments on internet are commercially paid. I pay US$150.00 (including shipping etc) for a nearly new refurbished one with remote control. Are you going to chop your own dick soon? :happy1:

The sound quality is at the audiophile level, close to my famous Rotel RCD-865BX Limited Edition which master clock has been upgraded to a TCXO with its own power supply! :cheers:

pcan, I am glad I trust Sony, you and myself.

My gear arrived yesterday. It plays any kind of music at the audiophile level very well. Bass is also great - from cello, double bass, large drum, small drum, drum machine, large horn etc. Its sound stage is even better than my Rotel RCD-865BX Limited Edition which clock has been upgraded to TCXO with dedicated power supply. It even presents an image of 3D playing some of my top quality CDs.

I suggest owners of this Sony player place some hard cones or spikes under it. Also, place several pounds of metal sands on top of its chassis. :cheers:

Last edited:
If your player is built like mine, they are already better than the average consumer electronics components. Unless you already have the capacitors sitting in a drawer, spare the money for a more useful upgrade.

OK then.
The first impression about this gear is that - it is good enough in most aspects. Of course, we may want more from it with a reasonably priced upgrade.

I am planning to upgrade its crystal clock to a "temperature compensated" precision clock. What frequencies of the clock do we need? Do we need one TCXO for the CD part and another TCXO for the SACD/DSD part? :cool:

Joined 2015
Paid Member
According to datasheet specifications, the DAC master clock frequency on this Sony player is five times higher than the older SAA7322/SAA7323 DAC on your older Rotel player, and frequency stability issues are therefore far less important. Changing the DAC clock does not seems to be easy on this design, the DAC requires four different high frequency clock signals. I believe that replacing the analog filter section (better op amp, separate linear power supply...) could be a easier and more effective upgrade. On my setup, connecting the chassis to the ground has improved the sound. I ended up replacing the power cord with standard a grounded power supply panel connector, this way I could use a good power cord with the required cable lenght.

Stereo audio playback has not been the marketing focus for this player, but the stereo analog section is actually good - it is noticeably better than my (older) stereo DAC. I bought the UHP-H1 when Sony dropped the price in anticipation for the current home theatre lineup, and it had a very good price/performance already. Now I see it offered online at bargain prices as used, refurbished and end-of-stock item. For the stereo audio player use, it is missing only a real front panel display. I don't have a monitor connected to my player and sometimes the remote control does not work because the on screen menu has been activated, the only way out if no monitor is connected is to turn off and then on again. It is still a very good upgrade from a older generation player.

Guys,
OK then. We have a great SACD and DSD files player now. Where can we find cheap and great SACD and DSD music discs? I have searched Amazon and some other relevant sites but there are only some expensive and boring old classical music albums.

Please suggest some of your favourite SACD and DSD discs sources. :rolleyes:

I got this Sony some time ago mainly for playing sacd files. It was advertised as an audiophile universal player.
It has performed flawlessly, especially as a transport, it plays stereo or multichannel, flac, ape, dsf over DLNA.
Unfortunately analog out is poor, it's no better than my old bdp s470.
The sound is compressed, highs are unpleasant, and bass doesn't dig deep.
I opened it up and searched for the DAC chip, but I can't find it, probably is under the big heatsink and I'm not going to remove it at the moment.
It seems to have a pair of JRC 4580 as opamps, which should be decent enough, and I prefer not to touch them since they're very close to some surface mount components.
I was thinking to bypass the analog stage, but I have no clue what dac is inside.
The cable connecting the main pcb with the analog pcb has the markings: 'PCONT2', 'DAC.SCL', 'DAC.SDA', DAC.SDTI', DAC.LRCK', 'DAC.BICK', 'DAC.MCLK',
Any thoughts?

Hello Everyone,
I experience the same problem with the poor performance of the rca analog outs when reading a sa-cd layer with the sony uhp-h1: actually I noticed a dim difference in volume (at least 6 db) when switching from cd to sa-cd layer ! It results of a very dull sound.
Any clue ? Is it a common issue with sa-cd and analog outs ? Unfortunately, my vintage amp doesn't offer digital input...
Thanks,
Philis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.