Philips CD960 problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I got the problems with my CD960. When the power is turned on, the spin motor turns counterclockwise a while then stop and the laser head moved up and down several times with weak light. Does anyone know what is the problem with my CD960(cdm1)?

Last edited:
download the service manual and here is the area you need to check : +12 and -12.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 190
As other also suggested, please measure the power supply voltages. You will need a service manual or at least the circuit diagram. Marantz used to have the good habit of packing the schematic diagram with their appliances, and Philips CD-960 is identical to Marantz CD94.
BTW how did you manage to break those diodes? :confused:

Last edited:
:eek: The 1k is the laser current setting. It does not need any adjustment. If absolutely necessary, follow the service manual:

Play the test disc
Measure voltage on R309
Adjust VR 3180 for 575 mV +/-75 mV on R309

If you don't have a test disc, better not to touch it.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You are really not understanding the issue here.

A new laser diode has a very wide tolerance on the current required to produce a given optical output and this means the correct current could be anywhere from say 45 to 65 milliamps as an example. That might be a range of 300 to 600 ohms on the preset.

It is not possible to give a typical figure simply because there isn't one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.