Little Server

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Actually i did not open it so far. I can ask my Japanese friends what they found. As far as i can remember it is some Chinese stuff they could not decifer but i may be wrong.
The problem with the shunt pot is that you loose some dynamic range. I have build a very high speed preamp though with a shunt pot that sounds fine. Even a good conventional pot gets is trouble over 100kHz where parsitics play a role. A shunt pot is much more wideband as far as i can tell. Of cause different Pots perform different. I am very happy with the one i have. Tomorrow i make a photo how i implemented it and look what type it is. I think it is a Vishey conductive plastic item.

Your inputt let me think the vol pot is as important as the other circuit around. Maybe with the serie resistor < 1k and the shunted pot with cermet instead plastic or carbon one should have the dynamic back ? But there are also now those very cheap 12 taps resisitors pots sold on EBay. All this should be important as you are talking about cable and indeed shows the good Eichmann type plugs :) (like the Oyaiide myself made like that but different material)

thread subscribed, cheap & good sound is the goal, interresting targett :)

In my experiments carbon is noisy and cermet is bright. I prefer conductive pastic. A pot just before the poweramp is the best solution i think when you only use one pot. If you use two pots i whould put one before the buffer to lower distortion and after the buffer for preserving dynamic range. I have seen Japanese integrated amp with up to 4 pots in a row for good reason. Of cause every pot has its own sound so a lot of pots violate Ockhams Law and the KISS priciple.

I will try your pot...

Too much an expensive stuff today than the good one. Tried to look for a Muse chip one with external oap ! Quite current little kits in Japan but didn't find one ; didn't go for Ebay cause the fear of the cunterfact chip or B sorted one... as bad pcb layout!

I will follow the plastic pot tip! Littliest taps resitors vol plot are not confortable enough to live with and the biggest not wallet proof ;)

Vol Pot

These are my volume controls. 10kOhm, one on each channnel so i can control balance.
That may be unconvenient for some but i got used to it. Exact balance is very critical for good focus and 3 dimensional soundstage.
The pot is just direct before the power amp so capacitve loss in the treble is minimized.

Attachments

• Vol Pot 1.JPG
    Vol Pot 1.JPG
    736.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Vol Pot 2.jpg
    Vol Pot 2.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Vol Pot 3.PNG
    Vol Pot 3.PNG
    744 KB · Views: 90
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.