Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Little Server
Little Server
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2017, 04:03 PM   #11
Henderson is offline Henderson
Banned

As far it gives a sound to die for....(for... low money I meant ), it will kill the other in the Top Chart (you know all these hats and overstacked things...) ! Me just trust my ears now ! Why not this one if the OP has no interrest in this factory producing this little circular client/server/dac !

I'm curious about the cable !

Last edited by Henderson; 30th November 2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 30th November 2017, 06:03 PM   #12
Joachim Gerhard is offline Joachim Gerhard  Germany
diyAudio Member

It seems to be a convergence going on where ever cheaper DA converters get better and better. I think for CD quality it has already happened. The weakness is then mostly in the PSU and the analog output stage. A good cable belongs there too. I have no idea why cables sound so different but they do in my experience.
Old 30th November 2017, 06:45 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Here is a picture of the whole schebang. Actually there is a 10kOhm potmeter before my poweramp ( not shown ) that sets the volume. That Potmeter could also be used BEFORE the buffer.
Attached Images
File Type: png Little Server.PNG (855.1 KB, 140 views)
Old 30th November 2017, 06:51 PM   #14
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

What's on top of the thingy? The lid of a tea-kettle?

//
Old 30th November 2017, 06:51 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

One trick to make a good sounding cable is to make it short. My cable is a good quality, gold plated 3.5mm jack and an only 5cm long twisted pair of thin, teflon coated Mundorf silver-gold solid core cable. The RCAs are origibal Eichmanns with metal sleeves because i had them and beleave in the low mass theorem. There are new one from Eichmann the company and Eichmann the man. Maybe they are even better. WBT Next Gen will do too.
There are versions in copper, silver and NANO bla. They all may sound supltly difference but the old Eichamnn do, big time.
Old 30th November 2017, 06:54 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

hhahhaaaa That is a puck from a Spiral Groove turntable. Yes, that is one expensive lid.
I do not use it at this time so i just put it there as weight. I prefer another puck on my particular table.
Old 30th November 2017, 06:58 PM   #17
Henderson is offline Henderson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
It seems to be a convergence going on where ever cheaper DA converters get better and better. I think for CD quality it has already happened. The weakness is then mostly in the PSU and the analog output stage. A good cable belongs there too. I have no idea why cables sound so different but they do in my experience.

Sure & dielectric of the cable too, the shortest length I use now the happier I am to avoid the mess with that ! And oh : solder : I had to remove some 4% silver Mundorf in a high tweaked dac ! I can not believe it, but when removed it sounded good again as initially tweaked !

Well, cool thread; remind me the tweaking of the old Philips CD player when they cost 10 to 20 euros in second hand shops : did that more than one decade....
Old 30th November 2017, 07:00 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Under the thingy is a round bamboo plate and then a record weight and the " lid ".
Colour my crazy but i can centainly hear when i put weight on the thingy. The combination of materials makes a difference too. I am mad but that is the fun. Comes for more or less free when you accept your own creativity.
Old 30th November 2017, 07:03 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Yes, the Philips. I burned my hands on them too. The more you took out of them the better they sounded........
Old 30th November 2017, 07:25 PM   #20
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
Under the thingy is a round bamboo plate and then a record weight and the " lid ".
Colour my crazy but i can centainly hear when i put weight on the thingy. The combination of materials makes a difference too. I am mad but that is the fun. Comes for more or less free when you accept your own creativity.
You hear acoustic feedback picked up be the oscillator in the DAC. That feedback creates jitter.

//

Little ServerHide this!Advertise here!