Replacing a CDM9/65 laser unit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone!

I have a Rotel RCD975 cd player, and it is skipping on some CDs. Seeing as the player is quite a few years old now, I may want to replace the laser unit. The unit originally in this player is the CDM9/65, but I understand this is not available anymore. I can however get a CDM9/44 unit.

Does anyone know if this unit will work in my player? I`ve searched the forums and the Net, but have not yet been able to find any more information!

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Best regards!

capslock said:
I have a Philips CD-931 with a CDM 9/44, I believe. I originally attributed the skipping to the disastrous decoupling and grounding, but that was only temporal remedy. In the end, a drop of oil on the ball that the arm pivots on was the cure.

Interesting! The skipping mostly occurs at the very beginning of CDs, I think that it may indeed have something to do with lubrication/friction.

I`ll try and lube the ball. Does this mean I have to open up the laser unit? If you could tell me where to lubricate? I added a picture of a unit.

Thanks!

Berend

Attachments

• cdm9.jpg
    cdm9.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 766
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Just checked. The 65 is a practically new one ( from an unused cdromplayer, yes they existed ) without box and the 44 is new in sealed box.

Try to lubricate first. Turn the unit upside down to see where the ball is. There were hints about what oil to use in older threads. I think it was automatic gearbox lubricant IIRC. Never did much with CDM9 so don't ask me. I use light oil on other CDM's but only if it is really necessary.

Boy, Rotel don`t make it easy for people to change the CDM!

The entire extra bottom plate must be removed, and the front, 20+ screws... Found the 2 DAC chips too, upside down on the bottom of the circuit board!

But anyway, nearly got to the bearing, to lubricate it. But I have to detach the flatcable first.

How sensitive are these? It looks pretty flimsy, can I just jerk it out of the circuit board? And with my bare finders? Can I just touch the sides, or can I grab the entire cable?

You might have noticed I`ve not done this before.... :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Work ESD safe, lasers don't like static electricity. Ground the hand/arm you're working with to the cdplayers chassis. Put a paperclip on the flatcable to short the contacts to avoid damage when you put the mechanism apart.

Better read some info *before* fiddling next time, it could save you money and the frustration of a cdplayer that does not work anymore. Please note that in most cdplayers the connector on the PCB has a retention mechanism that should be pushed up first at both sides before pulling the flatcable out ( gently !!!! ). Also please use just a very tiny drop of oil ( and change the oilfilter while you're at it ;) ).

Ahem, although I don't know this particular model of Rotel I think that there is a simpler way of changing the mechanism. Never mind, you'll learn how it's built in the process.

Good luck,

Jean-Paul

jean-paul said:
Work ESD safe, lasers don't like static electricity. Ground the hand/arm you're working with to the cdplayers chassis. Put a paperclip on the flatcable to short the contacts to avoid damage when you put the mechanism apart.

Thanks fot the tips, I`ll keep them in mind. But if I move the clip across the flatcable, won`t that damage the it?

Ahem, although I don't know this particular model of Rotel I think that there is a simpler way of changing the mechanism. Never mind, you'll learn how it's built in the process.

Good luck,

Jean-Paul

I assumed it would be easier too. But the mechanism is attached to the circuit board, and you can`t get to the screws unless you detach the metal bottom plate. Also there are two screws attached to the frame behind the front, so that has to go as well.

I suppose this all makes the frame and mechanism very rigid, which is good. But also not very convenient!

It`s still working so far, but I`ll hook myself up to the frame next time, so I won`t fry it!

Thanks again and best regards,

Berend

Sarion said:
Hey, just an idea, isn`t there a better way to lubricate the mechanism? On the picture you can see a black cap above the pivot (and I suppose the ball). Can`t I just remove that and drop a (very small! ;)) amount of oil down there? That would same a lot of trouble!

Okay, well I tried to get the black "cap" off, but no luck. I`ll have to try it from the bottom side. I`ve now got an antistatic wrist strap, Jean-Paul, so I feel safer!

Anyway, there is a player on its way to me, with a CDM9. It`ll be a surprise to me to find out which type it is exactly, but it was cheap!

I know there are CDM9/65 and /44 versions, but are there more?

Hopefully I will be able to tell you what the status of my player is soon, and possibly also if my player accepts a different version of the CDM9 laser...

Regards,

Berend

Nearly there!

Hi Guys!

I need your help! I`ve now got a nice cdm9/44 laser unit, which I want to try to substitute my cdm9/65 with. The last obstacle is the flatcable.

It`s attached to the circuit board, but there`s no clamping mechanism there. It seems the cable will just have to be pulled out.

Now here`s my question: how do I go about doing this? Can I just pull it out with my fingers? This will mean putting my fingers across the flatcable, as it`s attached pretty sturdily... Is this a problem? :xeye:

Please help me!

Kind regards,

Berend

Re: Nearly there!

Sarion said:
Hi Guys!

I need your help! I`ve now got a nice cdm9/44 laser unit, which I want to try to substitute my cdm9/65 with. The last obstacle is the flatcable.

It`s attached to the circuit board, but there`s no clamping mechanism there. It seems the cable will just have to be pulled out.

Now here`s my question: how do I go about doing this? Can I just pull it out with my fingers? This will mean putting my fingers across the flatcable, as it`s attached pretty sturdily... Is this a problem? :xeye:

Please help me!

Kind regards,

Berend

Hi Berend , First lift up the "collar" of the connector! That's the clamping mechanism.
:att'n:

Re: Re: Nearly there!

Elso Kwak said:

Hi Berend , First lift up the "collar" of the connector! That's the clamping mechanism.
:att'n:

Hi Elso! I understand what you mean, the CD player that the new laser came from had a "collar", but my Rotel doesn`t seem to have one! I added a picture. The socket it goes into on the circuit board, is one piece and soldered to the board...

How do you suggest I approach this?

Berend

Attachments

• cdm965flat.jpg
    cdm965flat.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 529
Re: Re: Re: Nearly there!

Sarion said:

Hi Elso! I understand what you mean, the CD player that the new laser came from had a "collar", but my Rotel doesn`t seem to have one! I added a picture. The socket it goes into on the circuit board, is one piece and soldered to the board...

How do you suggest I approach this?

Berend

Hello Berend,
Seems to be the Sony system. You can grab the flexicable at the white solid plastic piece. Be carefull!:att'n:

Woohoo! It works!

I have replaced my cdm9/65 with a cdm9/44 and it works like a charm! It worked on my Rotel RCD975, but i think it should work on all /65 units!

Thank you very much to everyone who contributed to this thread, i appreciate it very much.

Jean-Paul: there is an easier way after all! :) If you can get the flatcable disconnected, you can take out the drawer, and then take out the tray that the laser unit is mounted in. You were right, I didn`t have to take out the entire mechanism.

I will try to put my skipping /65 in the unit that the /44 came from and see if that will work too...

Best regards,

Berend

"just ignore the smoke, and smile"
A Perfect Circle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.