Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

dcc deck stopped working
dcc deck stopped working
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2017, 12:25 PM   #1
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

Default dcc deck stopped working

Yes i searched...have not found any info.
Not many threads here discuss dcc decks. Perhaps dead child, but i have many tapes.
So one of my dcc decks is silent. Mechanically fine, head never demagnetized, so it should be good. Analog tape produces static, digital nothing.
I found this interesting video on web, unfortunately in french. I do not speak french but what i see is, he blames leaky electrolytic capacitors. He removes some, but i do not see him solder any back. He cleans the boards, puts it back and it works.
Can anyone help me understand what this guy is doing? My deck has exactly the same boards, even it is technics, likely shares the same circuitry.
YouTube
Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by adason; 24th November 2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 24th November 2017, 07:55 PM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

dcc deck stopped working
I see the same as you, removes caps but does not replace.

Not sure what the tinfoil is all about here... although I frequently recommend using it remove charge completely from a PCB to sometimes 'fix' problems caused by stuck logic.

Edit... swipped some of the comments into a translator and the gist of it seems to be the caps can corrode the print and vias.

Do they look to have leaked ?
Old 24th November 2017, 09:43 PM   #3
Samsara is offline Samsara  France
diyAudio Member

Hello.
The video doesn't show it but he replace electrolytic capacitors, not all, only nonpolarized (because hard to find polarized in this size case) .
He give warning about electrolyte, said even if you replace capacitors without cleaning board the problem will come back after few month.
He say you must desolder ICs and somes big componant to remove the electrolyte that sank underneath.
He show traces and vias corroded by electrolyte and must be checked.

Last edited by Samsara; 24th November 2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 24th November 2017, 11:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

My boards looked pretty clean, i have observed any major spots.
I can easily take out dac boards, and i have cleaned the connectors with contox.
Now there is this tiny highly populated board where wires from head goes first...I do not have good access to. I would have to take decks mechanics out. I tried, something was in the way, maybe connector or other wires. I will try again later.
Old 24th November 2017, 11:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Replacing those surface mounted ports is pretty advanced stuff for me. I repaired lots of stuff before, tuners, cassette decks, preamps, amps, but not surface mounted.
So small and delicate.
Old 24th November 2017, 11:36 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for info about the video...
Old 25th November 2017, 08:54 AM   #7
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

dcc deck stopped working
Those surface mount caps should be removable with a small standard iron. Heat one pad while at the same time applying a little force to lever the cap back very slightly, just enough to break the bond. Using braid to remove as much solder as possible could be an idea, that way the cap will be held very weakly by the solder.

Its something you have to try and get a feel for but it can be done. Just be very careful (as in extreme care) not to rip the cap off and take the print with it.
Old 27th November 2017, 01:24 PM   #8
atsirik is offline atsirik  Greece
diyAudio Member

You can remove those caps as mooly said, just be very patient and careful not to appky much force as the pads are usually already corroded and can break and come-off very easily. After you can replace carfeully with ordinary electrolytics but beware that those boards, especially the read/write board (the one behind the heads - that causes the problems with muted analog sound etc.) also have corroded tracks, and internal 'breaks' very difficult to trace! I have spent DAYS trying to fix problem with noise/random pops on one analog channel on such machines. They really beautifully built and sounding, but also a REAL pain.
When you remove the capstry to thoroughly clean the board as that leaking capacitor fluid gets under the ICs and continue destroying the PCB!
Old 28th November 2017, 12:31 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I am taking a little break on dcc deck. I ordered another one of ebay for experimenting.
This will allow me to swap the boards and see where the problem is.

In the mean time i am working on analog decks, nikko and onkyo, those are much easier to work on.

dcc deck stopped workingHide this!Advertise here!