Changing from Electrolytic to Film Cap's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All, Question, I read about changing electrolytic caps to film caps what is the reason for this and is their any advantages to it?? Example In my Marantz 2216B there are 50v1uf electro. caps and i was told you can change them to the same value in a film cap, what is the advantage to this ??

Pat

Electrolytics are slightly nonlinear - although in most cases this won't matter if the cap has an appropriate value. They are slightly lossy - which the circuit may rely on.

Film caps are more linear, but usually physically much larger so sometimes there can be problems with stray capacitance.

So as others have said, it all depends on exactly how the cap is being used. Sometimes the swap can be an improvement, sometimes it will cause problems and much of the time there will be no change at all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.