Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Sony CDP 591 recognizes disc but doesn't play
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2017, 03:47 PM   #1
Depaj is offline Depaj  France
diyAudio Member

Default Sony CDP 591 recognizes disc but doesn't play

Hi!

I think I have done something wrong somewhere! I picked up a sony cdp 591 for 5, it was said to be working but skipping a lot. On my first try it did detect the disc and read without much trouble but skipped a lot. I opened it up and the laser was very foggy, I cleaned it with some alcohol and that did the trick, no more skipping. Now I saw some pretty bad solder joints so I decided to get the board out and reflow the joints that were dry or cracked, put the thing back together but now when I put in a disc it detects it, shows the number of tracks and total time but when I press play it starts up, shows track 1 0:00 and then there's a little click, display shuts down, laser gets back down and it starts all over again and again and again... looks like the whole player just shuts down just before it actually starts reading. It sounded familiar to a problem on my rega planet on which changing the rectifier diodes repaired this problem but not here. I checked my solder joints and nothing touches that shouldn't touch, does anyone know where I might have done something ?
Old 3rd November 2017, 04:17 PM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Most likely something you have done... all the evidence points to that.

Is the click a relay ? Have you accidently shorted this to a rail (or anything else) so that when it unmutes it kills the rail.
Old 3rd November 2017, 04:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Mooly!

There is no relay, I think the clicking is just the laser assembly resetting. Btw I didn't touch the pcb that is behind the faceplate. Also sometimes the disc starts trying to play immediately after closing.
Old 3rd November 2017, 04:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

here's the schematic.sony.pdf
Old 3rd November 2017, 05:09 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I don't seem to have a negative power supply. the -10v rail is at 0v and the -5v rail is at +3.6v.
Old 3rd November 2017, 05:52 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The 2 little fuses right after the rectifiers were open, I made some kind of replacement with 4 wires and two regular fuses and I now have all the correct voltages back but the symptomes are still the same.
Old 3rd November 2017, 07:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Hard to say really because this has to be a man made fault.

All you can do is check the basics and make sure all the rails are correct and that they are also correct at their destinations. If both fuses were zapped then you have done something to cause a short somewhere.
Old 3rd November 2017, 09:18 PM   #8
Gregje is offline Gregje  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Last time when I was in a similar situation Mooly advised me exactly the same.
After restoring all the voltages in all relevant places the player worked.
Old 3rd November 2017, 09:19 PM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

good to know.
Old 3rd November 2017, 09:37 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I will check tomorrow and let you know.

Sony CDP 591 recognizes disc but doesn't playHide this!Advertise here!