NAD C525bee vs NAD541i: which to mod?!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
As per my previous post, I purchased a NAD541i as a bit of a bargain (£15!), and initially thinking it was beyond recovery I put it one side and got a NAD C525bee. With some help on here I had another go with the 541 and got it up and running.

My intention is now to have one of these as a bit of a project ( Big thanks to Mooly who has already put me in the right direction for getting the C541i much tidier!).

Looking around there is very little on the C525bee ( it was the replacement for the c521, not even sure what replaced it, or was it a line that disappeared?). The specs seem pretty identical, except the 525 has a 20bit Burr brown and the 541i a 24bit Burr, however the 525 is newer and may have other improvements.

I've picked up a service manual for both (can post relevant sections if needed).

So which should I go for? There is already a decent thread on the 541i, so may just use that for inspiration.
Really I guess I would want to keep the better player untouched, and mod the poorer of the two, or should I mod the better one for the better final product ( or do the mods make it irrelevant?!).

I was thinking along the lines of a clock and new caps to begin with.

Hi all,
As per my previous post, I purchased a NAD541i as a bit of a bargain (£15!)
Having in mind that purchase price I would think twice if it is worth an effort spending much money on that player.

I had very similar NAD542 quite a long ago and I could not make it sing even applying all those standard tweaks (new clock, better regulators, changing the opamps etc).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.