diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Digital Source (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/)
-   -   How to put a clock in a Arcam delta 70.2? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/31309-how-put-clock-arcam-delta-70-2-a.html)

chlo 31st March 2004 10:51 AM

How to put a clock in a Arcam delta 70.2?

Hi DIYers,

Would you kindly help.

Regards.

Guido Tent 31st March 2004 11:20 AM

Re: How to put a clock in a Arcam delta 70.2?

Quote:

Originally posted by chlo
Hi DIYers,

Would you kindly help.

Regards.

Hi

I have some generic instructions at my site

http://www.tentlabs.com/Support/Moun...O2mounting.pdf

regard

jean-paul 31st March 2004 11:56 AM

Delta 70.2 is a different animal with clock distribution and a non standard clock schematic. I fitted clocks in 2 of those and I can tell you what to do. The general instructions are not enough for this one ( sorry, Guido ). There are some ports that can be omitted but some are needed for the clock distribution.

First you need a schematic which I happen to have. If you give your mailadress I'll send it to you ( warning 5 mb file so be sure your mailbox is able to receive 5 mb ).

A superb cdplayer that needs some work but can sound better than CD80. The discrete output stage is well designed. It deserves new caps ( Pana FC is recommended ) and tidy work. Also a separate supply + transformer are a must in this one. Be careful with the case, it wears out easily when the screws are tightened too hard ( aluminium case ) so leave it open while you are modding/listening it. Don't go for cheap, better do it right the first time. Cdplayers of this quality ( for that price ) are rare.

chlo 31st March 2004 01:02 PM

Hi Jean Paul,

Thank you for your reply!.

I agree with you that the Delta 70.2 is quite complicated!. I replaced all elec caps with most Panas FC, 10 Diode for analog and digital sections(11DQ10), 2 OP627 opamps so far. I have difficulty with installing a clock at the moment. However, without Clock it still sounds very encouraging!.

My email: chuong_h_l@nospam.co.uk

Once again, thank you for your help.

Best Regard!

Guido Tent 31st March 2004 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jean-paul
Delta 70.2 is a different animal with clock distribution and a non standard clock schematic. I fitted clocks in 2 of those and I can tell you what to do. The general instructions are not enough for this one ( sorry, Guido ). There are some ports that can be omitted but some are needed for the clock distribution.

First you need a schematic which I happen to have. If you give your mailadress I'll send it to you ( warning 5 mb file so be sure your mailbox is able to receive 5 mb ).

A superb cdplayer that needs some work but can sound better than CD80. The discrete output stage is well designed. It deserves new caps ( Pana FC is recommended ) and tidy work. Also a separate supply + transformer are a must in this one. Be careful with the case, it wears out easily when the screws are tightened too hard ( aluminium case ) so leave it open while you are modding/listening it. Don't go for cheap, better do it right the first time. Cdplayers of this quality ( for that price ) are rare.

Hi JP

You are more experienced with the Arcam than I am. Thanks anyhow for jumping in

cheers

simon dart 31st March 2004 06:16 PM

Jean Paul,

I also have a 70.2, so I would definately be interested to hear what you say regarding a clock upgrade. I have a manual, will you go through the mod on this thread?

Simon

P.S I've intalled a SRPP tube output stage which just transformed the player. It blows my mates Pink Triangle DaCapo combo into the weeds, and thats with virtually no PSU mods!

chlo 5th April 2004 11:28 AM

Hi Jean Paul,

I obtained a schematic for the DAC and Clock circuit, and someone has instructed me for the following steps:
- Remove Crystal
- Connect pin 5 and 9 of Dac to clock ground
- Disconnect pin 10 of Dac
- Connect low jitter Clock (+) output to the track where pin 10 was connected to.
- Connect clock (-) output to pin 7 or ground lane.

Is there any better way to install it, I have not tried it yet.

Regards.

chlo 24th May 2004 12:09 PM

Just installed a low jitter clock and PSU to the Delta 70.2(different to the wrong instruction in previous msg). The sound improved significantly and certainly better than the Marant CD80 as Jean Paul said.

Chlo

jean-paul 24th May 2004 07:53 PM

Some tips, better late than never. Did you :

* mount the new clock PCB at the back panel nearest to the 74HCU04 ? A shield under the clock-PCB or a metal case around it to avoid radiation is preferred.

* connect the new clock to pin 1 of the 74HCU04 ?

* remove R227/228, C251 and X201 ? Of course you did ;)

* disconnect the pins 5,6,8,9, 10 and 11 of the 74HCU04 and did you ground ( now unused ) input pins 5, 9 and 11 with a wire ?

* use coax cable from the output of the new clock to the 74HCU04 and did you put the coax one winding through a ferrite bead/ring ?

* connect the ground of the new clock its output coax cable only at one point in the cdplayer nearest to pin 7 or ground of the 74HCU04 ? Leave the power supply floating except for this ground just mentioned.

* put the twisted supply wires of the new supply to the clock a few turns through a ferrite bead/ring ?

You see, EMI is my and your cdplayers enemy.

chlo 24th May 2004 09:19 PM

Hi Jean,

- I just remove crystal (x201) R227, R228 and C151
- Connect pin 5 and pin 9 of (Z206) 74HCU04 to ground or pin 7 of it.
- Disconnect pin 10 of (Z206)
-Take the out put of low jitter clock to the track which pin 10 used to go to and Clock ground to pin 7.

It works fine and I am really satisfied.

Regards.

Chlo